- - - - -

DotA Media FAQ

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 King Fear

King Fear

Once again my shadow will enter your life...

• Community Elder
  • 1942 posts
  • Bnet Name:King_Fear
  • Bnet Realm:Azeroth

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:48 AM

Welcome to the DotA Media Forum!

This forum is reserved for various types of DotA-related media created by members of the community, including videos, fan art, music and programs/tools. If you have something of the above to share, feel free to post them. You can also rate and comment media posted by other users and visit the AI DotA versions subforum.

On behalf of the DotA Media staff, I wish you a pleasant stay in our lovely forum!

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I make DotA videos?

First, you need to capture material for your video. This is generally done by opening up a Warcraft 3 DotA replay of your choosing, watching it through and marking down events in time that you want to use for your video, then running through the replay again and using a video capture program to create scenes for your video.

Then you need to edit and compile the clips into a complete video using a video editing program, applying effects, transitions, songs and sound files into it to liven your creation up.

After your video looks and sounds the way you want it, you need to encode it to a smaller size, raw video data can take up several Gigabytes of disk space, which will make it impossible to share with anyone. Most decent video editors come with their own encoding features and presets. You can also download codecs such as DivX.

Finally, you need to upload your video to any of the online hosting services and post it on the forums!

What is a video capture program and where can I get one?

A video capture program allows you to record into a video file whatever is happening on your screen at the moment. Note that this takes a lot out of a computer, so having high RAM and a lot of free disc space is recommended or your clips will be choppy.

Common video capture programs and where to get them can be found in the Useful Links section below.

Can't I just convert the replay into a video file directly?

No, this is not possible. A replay is basically just a string of instructions for Warcraft III on how to recreate the game, it cannot be watched without running it through Warcraft III. Besides, how would you plan on fitting the events of the entire map into a single video file?

Where can I get the songs that play in DotA -music modes?

Those are originally from Warcraft III, and can be exported from the World Editor that comes with it. Simply open up World Editor, go to Sound Editor and scroll down to the music files, right-click and choose Export Sound.

I saw a video where the camera was going into weird positions way beyond what Warcraft 3 normally does. How do I do that?

This is done with the ReplaySeeker and it's Simple Camera plug-in. Links to both can be found below.

Useful Links

DotA-Related Links
  • ReplaySeeker - An invaluable tool for video makers, allows you to fast forward replays way past the normal engine limitation to selected times, EVEN WHILE TABBED OUT! Authors: Danat & DonTomaso.
  • Simple Camera - A plugin for ReplaySeeker, which allows you to bypass the Warcraft III camera limitations. A great asset for video makers, by DonTomaso.
  • DotA Allstars Collection - Maps, loading screens and changing logs of past DotA versions, provided by FoR.
  • DotA Downloadables - Pretty conclusive list of DotA-related tools and programs, by FoR.
  • DotA Sounds - The Unreal Tournament kill announcements (Killing Spree, Dominating, etc), by IceFrog.
  • DotA Songs By DevilsUrethra - All the DotA songs by DevilsUrethra.
  • DotA Theme Manager - Customizes the terrain tileset and GUI of your DotA maps, by Infrisios.
  • DotA Map Archive - Past versions of DotA, by iNCQRiT
Video Editing Programs
  • Fraps - Probably the most commonly used video capturing software. A free version with limitations is available.
  • Sony Vegas - A commonly used video editor, trial version is available.
  • Adobe After Effects - A program for finishing up your videos with cool visual effects. A bit difficult to learn but well worth it.
GuidesCommon Image Hosting SitesCommon Video Hosting Sites
  • YouTube - Fast and easy to use but low quality stream. You have to upload your video to YouTube if you want it to be added in the media section.
  • Leet Tube - Gaming-related version of YouTube. Better quality streams, not currently supported by the media section.
  • Filefront - Good quality streams and free registration, files are deleted after a period of inactivity unless the user opts to keep them.
Common File Hosting Sites---

If you have anything to ask, add or to take away, feel free to post here.

Edited by King Fear, 11 August 2008 - 04:32 AM.

#2 FoR

FoR

→ ALLAH is Great ←

• Forum Contributors
  • 3849 posts
  • Bnet Name:HanG_On
  • Bnet Realm:none
  • Potential:G

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:13 AM

Nice to have less stickies.

Good job King_Fear.

You forgot to mention Dota Map Archive!! .

Add Both (DotA Allstars Collection & DotA Map Archieve)

#3 King Fear

King Fear

Once again my shadow will enter your life...

• Community Elder
  • 1942 posts
  • Bnet Name:King_Fear

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:21 AM

I thought you were bent on making the Archive thread obsolete with your collection! Which would be really convenient since iNCQRiT is inactive. Someone needs to take over.

#4 ♥TheHolyGhost♥

♥TheHolyGhost♥

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Bnet Name:DeathByNumbers

Posted 16 May 2008 - 03:57 AM

Oh here they are. Sorry. Delete my topic. My Bad. Keep it up!

#5 Skasian

Skasian

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:DoTA
  • Bnet Name:Skasian

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:19 PM

Why don't any of the links to download these files work?

Is there anywhere else I can find these files to download?

#6 FoR

FoR

→ ALLAH is Great ←

• Forum Contributors
  • 3849 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:50 PM

Forum was having some troubles with attachments and it's FIXED now.

#7 burndead

burndead

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Bnet Name:burndead
  • Bnet Realm:Northrend

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:10 AM

Nevermind that post.

Edited by burndead, 17 March 2009 - 06:12 AM.

#8 Atchucan

Atchucan

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Bnet Name:Atchucan

Posted 09 April 2009 - 06:30 AM

how do you attach vids to the DA forum?

#9 Slichizard

Slichizard

Now, its over.

• Forum Leaders
  • 2398 posts
  • Bnet Name:Green_Sliche

Posted 12 July 2009 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE(Atchucan @ Apr 9 2009, 07:30 PM) View Post

how do you attach vids to the DA forum?

Attach videos just like any other attachment or use file hosting services and upload link here.

#10 FoR

FoR

→ ALLAH is Great ←

• Forum Contributors
  • 3849 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:22 AM

Add this [Guide] How to Make a Pro Video.

#11 Slichizard

Slichizard

Now, its over.

• Forum Leaders
  • 2398 posts
  • Bnet Name:Green_Sliche

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:30 AM

^I don't want to modify King's post. Still, thanks for the link.  happy.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users