#1 zymbolic

zymbolic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Bnet Name:zymbolic
  • Bnet Realm:Lordaeron

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:46 PM

Hello programming dotA enthusiasts. I know this might seem quite random, but it is out of curiosity... So, I'm interested in being a programmer but I also want to work with hardware and building computers and the like. Does a well-acknowledged Computer science degree from a prestigious university cover non software topics such as hardware and the actual computer itself?

-Thanks

#2 casab1anca

casab1anca

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Bnet Name:casab1anca
  • Bnet Realm:none

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:33 AM

Computer science does cover both software and hardware topics, but not in the ways you mentioned. On the software side, you will generally learn things such as algorithms and software engineering, but usually it's up to you to learn a real programming language to put these principles to use. On the hardware side, CS will teach you things like computer architecture and microprocessor design. I'm not sure if this is what you meant by "building" computers - if you were instead talking about system assembly or hardware support, that is again learnt only through experience.

Simply put, computer science will teach you all the theory and principles, but putting these to practice is your job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users