#1 Ancestor12

Ancestor12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Bnet Name:Ancestor
  • Bnet Realm:Northrend

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:06 AM

For a while now i've been wanting to learn C++. I've been through some guides, but for me none of them are really helping. I find them to be tedious and confusing, and never really telling you what you want to know. So i'm asking someone here who could recommend be a really good guide (saves me alot of time) or pass on some general pointers. Thanks.

#2 Darksorrow131

Darksorrow131

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Bnet Name:None
  • Bnet Realm:Lordaeron

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:46 PM

Do you know other programming languages?

#3 casab1anca

casab1anca

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Bnet Name:casab1anca
  • Bnet Realm:none

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:48 PM

So what "guides" have you been through so far? What do you find confusing in them, and what is it that you want to know that those guides don't tell you? Answering these might help find a better way for you to learn the language.

Personally, I used a book titled "C++ Primer Plus" by Stephen Prata. For me, it was quite easy to follow. I did have prior experience with other languages though.

#4 Innuendo32

Innuendo32

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Bnet Name:Drongo

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:29 AM

For a while now i've been wanting to learn C++. I've been through some guides, but for me none of them are really helping. I find them to be tedious and confusing, and never really telling you what you want to know. So i'm asking someone here who could recommend be a really good guide (saves me alot of time) or pass on some general pointers. Thanks.

Avoid online guides as they are typically riddled with errors and/or promote the authors personal preferences.

Try the book "C++ Fundamentals (CyberRookies)". Noting that, as I purchased this over a decade ago it may not still be in print; could've been placed in the public domain though.

#5 ST4R_

ST4R_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:DOTA<br />
  • Bnet Name:Torrente

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:19 AM

this guide should help u.
it's ideal for beginners with some good descriptions.

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

#6 Sohlae

Sohlae

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Programming. Have knowledge in the following programming language:<br /><br />JBasic<br />C &lt;C++, C#.NET&gt;<br />Assembly Language<br /><br />---<br /><br />Database.
  • Bnet Name:js

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:02 PM

I suggest you read books instead of online guides as the former is more informative in terms of the syntax and the like. I use the book "C++ for Engineers and Scientists" and I find it very helpful.

Edited by Sohlae, 07 February 2010 - 10:03 PM.

#7 nevralgo

nevralgo

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Bnet Name:Ne_A3

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:20 AM

Syntax is something you can learn from nearly every book on the market. Get one that has lots of examples. If you really want to develop projects in C++ though, you will need to learn a lot of algorithms. I cant recommend a book, that has algorithms mostly due to the fact, that I'm from Bulgaria and I don't know the English title of the books I use, but I'm sure you will find something. Good luck !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users