Here's my try to present an idea that has been seen in Item Suggestions many times. I am talking about Hand of Midas upgrade. Some believe it's in no need of upgarde, others do their best to make something worthwhile. Well, it's time I join the latter, or rather rejoin, since the item is a repost.
Golden Spear - legends speak of an anicent king, who could make rivers of gold just by tossing his spear. Could this be his weapon ?
Hand of Midas - 2010
Javelin - 1400
Recipe - 1350
Golden Spear - 4760
+ 35% IAS
+ 25 damage ( + 9 from recipe )
25% chance to deal 75 additonal damage to the attacked target and all enemies within 150 AoE of it
+ active ability: Gold Curse - the spear is thrown to seek profit for its owner. Transmutes the target creep and affects all enemy creeps 300 range around the target with the gold curse. A unit killed while under the effect of Gold Curse will give 50% more bounty than usual. Duration of Gold Curse is 5 seconds. Doesn't affect enemy heroes, ancients and super creeps, only enemy creeps and neutrals. mana cost is 75, cd is 100 seconds.
The passive chance to deal bonus damage is modified a little. Now, instead of dealing 40 additional damage to the attacked target only, it will deal it in an AoE around it to damage all enemy units near the victim as well.
The ability Gold Curse will allow you to transmute a target creep to gain gold. But the effect doesn't end here. All enemy creeps within 200 range of teh transmuted creep will be affected by a debuff, which ensures that they will give you or any of your allies who kill them 50% more gold than usual. This debuff lasts only 5 seconds.
- to take the farming potental of Midas to a new level. It's not exactly a popular item right now, partially because it takes time to repay the gold cost you lose for it. It's also quite expensive and many heroes prefer other items.
- except for the usual benefit from Midas, this also adds a supportive element for the whole of your team. Casting the ability in the middle of a big creep wave and killing the creeps within 5 seconds after that will ensure you and/or any of your allies a good gold gain from that wave.
- since this is an upgrade, it needs to add something more to the ability. This something is in the form of possible extra gold if your hero is capable of killing creeps quickly enough or gold for your allies, who can lend some attack power.
- the passive ability, although not the main focus, is an interesting way to give ranged heroes the benefit of a balanced splash attack, since 75 damage is in no way a high number. It's also very synergetic with the active, since it will help you clear the creeps affected by the curse.
- the additional benefit from each creep killed under the effect of Gold Curse varies between 16 to 25 gold. Late game creep numbers can be great, but don't forget that many heroes cannot kill that much in just 5 seconds, and will certainly need backup if the best of the ability is to be utilized.
- the rather small AoE ensures that affecting many creeps will not be an easy task. Probabably the only stage of the game when you'll be able to affect 6 creeps at once will be the late game.
- the gold cost of this item isn't exactly low. 4760 is not a small sum to pay, especially since you'll have to work hard after that to gain some payback. And even then it's not certain that you'll be the only one killing creeps affected by Gold Curse.
Edited by k900, 26 March 2009 - 01:07 AM.