#1 fireorlime

fireorlime

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Bnet Name:fireorlime
  • Bnet Realm:Azeroth

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:29 AM

Best...anime...ever.  I'm not a big fan of the bizarre pseudo-philosophical tangents at the end of the series, but overall, incredible.

#2 serados

serados

NSF幻想曲

• Moderators
  • 6562 posts
  • Bnet Name:serados
  • Bnet Realm:Lordaeron

Posted 07 December 2006 - 04:19 PM

Pseudo-philosophical? It's real enough for me.

#3 sheny_1

sheny_1

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Bnet Name:Opacho

Posted 07 December 2006 - 05:39 PM

ya it's the best ever anime 4 mi... i'm a sucker 4 bizarre pseudo-philosophical  wink.gif

#4 Godblood

Godblood

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Bnet Name:Godblood

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:07 PM

evangelion is one of those hall of fame animes, it inspired sooo many animes after it
did you watch the movie? it's great too
I feel like rewatching it now lol

#5 chon_bon

chon_bon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:dota, economics, tattoos, anime, prime time tv
  • Bnet Name:saku

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:19 AM

i watched this anime when i was in 10th grade. although i enjoyed it, there was a lot of shit i didn't understand...

maybe it's worth another watch.

#6 Bibly

Bibly

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • Bnet Name:Bibly
  • Bnet Realm:Northrend

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:54 AM

QUOTE(serados @ Dec 8 2006, 12:19 AM) View Post

Pseudo-philosophical? It's real enough for me.

Spoiler

wink.gif

Yeah, it's a great series, touches on a lot of interesting philosophy and psychology, as well as great storyline/action/characters to boot.

#7 harusame

harusame

japanese vermicilli

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1836 posts
  • Bnet Name:harusame-

Posted 11 January 2007 - 10:49 AM

i...dont like mecha >_<
although i watch mecha also dry.gif

#8 Dogta

Dogta

TopFeeder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2418 posts
  • Bnet Name:1chimaruGin

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:54 PM

Was definitely an anime that was ahead of its time, didn't like the ending though sad.gif

#9 Tales

Tales

ZAFT no tame ni

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1794 posts
  • Bnet Name:ZGMF-X19A
  • Bnet Realm:none

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE(Dogta @ Jan 12 2007, 12:54 AM) View Post
Was definitely an anime that was ahead of its time, didn't like the ending though sad.gif

Which one, the one that was all a dream?

Or the real ending, where everyone died but Shinji and Asuka?

Or the real real ending, where everyone everyone died?

Or the real real real ending, where Shinji goes to save Asuka after the Spear of Longinus but they all get killed anyway?

Or the real real real real ending, where Shinji does save Asuka?

Oh wait, hardcore fans sued Gainax when they tried to make the real real real ending, so pretend they never happened.

#10 Aprudds

Aprudds

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Bnet Name:sddurpa

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:25 PM

Wait i saw only 3 endings.... mind explaining...

#11 SaltyTaro

SaltyTaro

*clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap*

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1827 posts
  • Bnet Name:SaltyTaro

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:26 PM

my policy with the interpretation of this ending (probably picked up from the several literature classes i've taken) is that there is no wrong or right interpretations, only poorly established and weakly established.  there are so many unanswered questions with evangelion's ending (as well as the entire series) that there's hardly a single explanation that can be without doubt

evangelion was definitely a step ahead for anime - the way i see it what david lean did with movies with his incredible gamble with lawrence of arabia, anno did for anime with evangelion.  an abstract and disturbing plot was shown to be potentially successful, paving the way for many anime ideas that probably would have been rejected (or maybe not ever even inspired)

whether you want to rewatch evangelion to try to soak in the whole story is up to you, although i'd suggest it before you start to mouth off people about the "true" ending that you just read somewhere from some big shot

#12 vyruz32

vyruz32

I GOT THE *%&^! SNAKE FROM THE *&!# PLANE!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1565 posts
  • Bnet Name:Lordaeron

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:42 AM

NGE was acutally one of the heralds of great anime, along with it is AKIRA, Gundam Series, and many more.

I think the many endings represent the many possibilites that may happen within the NGE storyline. It's up to the viewers to decide which is which upon the endings. Asuka fought pretty fiercely in the End of Evangelion. Going up against the the EVA series all by herself and her long tirade of not dying (Pretty, pretty long).

E.G. Shinji is pretty naughty, naughty indeed, in End of Evangelion.  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

#13 Godders

Godders

staring competition

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3593 posts
  • Interests:I love lamp.<br /><br />The Broom is my King; I shall not wander.<br />S/He maketh me to lie down in a united RC:<br />he leadeth me beside the spam posters.<br />He invigorath my gender:<br />he leadeth me in the direction of sexual ambiguity for his surety's sake.<br />Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Mantis,<br />I will fear no evil: for thou art in me; thy shaft and thy bristles they comfort me.<br />Thou preparest a thread before me in the presence of enemies in GD:<br />thou anointest my head with holy flames; my keyboard runneth over.<br />Surely goodness and genderlessness shall follow me all the days of my life:<br />and I will bask in the presence of the Broom of Powar for ever.<br /><br />Bmen.
  • Bnet Name:word_king

Posted 19 January 2007 - 02:01 AM

NGE was all good and awesome until Anno pulled a mindfuckery out of fucking nowhere.

Also, Shinji is a little girl.

#14 Tales

Tales

ZAFT no tame ni

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1794 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE(SaltyTaro @ Jan 17 2007, 12:26 AM) View Post
whether you want to rewatch evangelion to try to soak in the whole story is up to you, although i'd suggest it before you start to mouth off people about the "true" ending that you just read somewhere from some big shot

Actually since my sources are outdated (the newest stuff I remember from EVA comes back from the time where I played Super Robot Taisen Alpha, where everyone was talking about how the storyline on the game was the new ending that Gainax was going to produce before they got sued (and BTW, they did got sued, but good luck trying to search for that one, it's kinda impossible like the cases of Japan courts saying that people were insane because they were EVA fans, I remember two of those news, but I tried searching for them some while ago and got nowhere :S).

The problem with EVA is the fact that the full storyline can't be completed just by watching the series, because I have seem complete EVA fans and they just talk about stuff you can't even begin to grasp when you see the series, and yeah, it's a great anime and everything, but it's not worth watching every single day of your life (I have only seen it 4 times, and even I consider it too much).

#15 Bibly

Bibly

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 02:51 AM

QUOTE(Godders @ Jan 19 2007, 10:01 AM) View Post

NGE was all good and awesome until Anno pulled a mindfuckery out of fucking nowhere.

Also, Shinji is a little girl.

That's an insult to little girls everywhere to be honest  rolleyes.gif .

#16 Gemini SaGa

Gemini SaGa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Bnet Name:SaGa_Of_Gemini

Posted 21 January 2007 - 08:35 PM

Evangelion is one of those anime you see once and never forget it completely... I enjoyed watching it... though i always thought shinji is the worst main character ever.

#17 Bibly

Bibly

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:15 AM

QUOTE(Gemini SaGa @ Jan 22 2007, 04:35 AM) View Post

Evangelion is one of those anime you see once and never forget it completely... I enjoyed watching it... though i always thought shinji is the worst main character ever.

"Worst main character ever"?  Really?  He certainly wasn't heroic, or inspiring, but he was very 'human', or he displays human weaknesses to such an extent that they become blindingly obvious to the viewer, just like the other main characters.

Perhaps you disliked him because he annoyed you, but he certainly was NOT forgettable, and it is possible for people to relate to him.  Like I said, he's very 'human', and for that reason fitted with the anime and its catalogue of people with mental disorders  wink.gif .

#18 Gemini SaGa

Gemini SaGa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Bnet Name:SaGa_Of_Gemini

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE(Bibly @ Jan 22 2007, 11:15 AM) View Post

"Worst main character ever"?  Really?  He certainly wasn't heroic, or inspiring, but he was very 'human', or he displays human weaknesses to such an extent that they become blindingly obvious to the viewer, just like the other main characters.

Maybe youre right... hes indeed very human... maybe too much for what I actually look for in an anime. Specially one with such a crude theme like angels trying to end the excistence of humanity  unsure.gif . I could say i expected someone more heroic... not a little girl   laugh.gif

#19 Bibly

Bibly

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:35 AM

QUOTE(Gemini SaGa @ Jan 23 2007, 04:08 AM) View Post

Maybe youre right... hes indeed very human... maybe too much for what I actually look for in an anime. Specially one with such a crude theme like angels trying to end the excistence of humanity  unsure.gif . I could say i expected someone more heroic... not a little girl   laugh.gif

I see where you're coming from there, and it is indeed mostly true that anime characters tend to be 'larger than life' in their own way.  Special/superhuman/displaying over-exaggerated characteristics (All the overly reticent/shy/obedient girls who pop up in loads of anime for example).  However I reallly do think a lot of NGE's 'magic' would have been lost if Shinji had been some amazingly strong-willed/heroic character.

A lot of the series deals with human fragility and psychology.  The concept of the Absolute Terror Field for example is drawn from psychology and deals with the barriers seperating individual human egos.  For much of the series the characters have to deal with their own issues:

Spoiler

It's got a crude theme with humanity Vs angels (although you can read lots into it, vis a vis Christian mythology, Lilith, evolution etc...) but I think it really is a psychological anime too, and Shinji's character is important to that  smile.gif .

Wow, long post  unsure.gif ...

Edited by Bibly, 23 January 2007 - 08:50 AM.

#20 Tales

Tales

ZAFT no tame ni

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1794 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE(Bibly @ Jan 23 2007, 01:35 PM) View Post
I see where you're coming from there, and it is indeed mostly true that anime characters tend to be 'larger than life' in their own way.  Special/superhuman/displaying over-exaggerated characteristics (All the overly reticent/shy/obedient girls who pop up in loads of anime for example).  However I reallly do think a lot of NGE's 'magic' would have been lost if Shinji had been some amazingly strong-willed/heroic character.

The main reason that anime characters have been always done as larger than life is because it's expected that having a story that you and I can have would not be so appealing to the normal viewer than a story where a good for nothing gets abducted then finds out that he's the prince of an intergalactical empire. This is what had ruled the anime world in a long time, with the exception of course of the Real Robot genre (which Evangelion is).

The problem that is now easily seen is that people started to get bored of seeing all this extraordinary people, and are starting to want a different type of main guy or story, mainly one that's not so unbelievable, that's the same reason that Genshiken's so popular now, mainly because the main guys are just you and me.

The way to do animes (and some types of games too) now deals a lot more with trying to do the perfect coallition between reality and fiction, while many people asks for fiction, because of stuff I said above, if you present them with too much fiction they'll start hating how the main character can kill 841478421579 grunts without any problem. This is something that wasn't asked before (and it is much easier to see on games though), and it may hinder some of the capabilities you can have while watching an anime, as fans sometimes ask too much, this is in no way saying that it's a bad thing to ask more than what you're getting,since that's one of the easiest way to make something improve.

A lot of the series deals with human fragility and psychology. The  concept of the Absolute Terror Field for example is drawn from  psychology and deals with the barriers seperating individual human  egos. For much of the series the characters have to deal with their own  issues:

Spoiler

It's  got a crude theme with humanity Vs angels (although you can read lots  into it, vis a vis Christian mythology, Lilith, evolution etc...) but I  think it really is a psychological anime too, and Shinji's character is  important to that smile.gif .

Anno was obviously heavily inspired on Freud to make the series, there were too many things in there that a freudian would recognize immediately (which I can't really say what they are, since I don't remember them tongue.gif).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users