Slichizard

Now, its over.

• Forum Leaders
  • 2398 posts
  • Bnet Name:Green_Sliche
  • Bnet Realm:Azeroth

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:12 PM

Greetings.

Since I'm new to Media stuff ( I moded AI subfroum and had nothing to do about this ), I would like to hear any ideas or suggestions you, forum members, may have. Feel free to share them, maybe some will be implemented. Thanks.

#2 KOWSAUCE

KOWSAUCE

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Bnet Name:KOWSAUCE
  • Bnet Realm:Lordaeron

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:50 PM

this is just an idea, i havent thought about the negative impacts of this too much, so feel free to post if you think of any, however the idea was to:

create a subforum called "the wasteland" for all the zero effort, 3 frame per second typewriter jobs

after sufficient voting from forum members the thread can be flagged to be put in there, and a mod can finalise it.... would be a prime location for trolls needing to get some flaming out their system too, they know straight where to head

this will avoid quality videos being knocked back to second page, and save pizzabump having to put on his necromancer robe every few weeks

this will also be decent for non-regular dota media visitors who randomly check the videos on the first page to see some of the latest work, if they're regularly seeing decent media then they're more inclined to post or sign up if they aren't a member already.

if you randomly peruse this forum every few months and constantly see shithouse short range plastic pudge videos or raze compliation #3194839184 with some screamo slapped over the top , still showing the UI, bringing nothing new to the table then you're gonna be more inclined to only come back here twice a year maybe and miss out on some quality videos

#3 Slichizard

Slichizard

Now, its over.

• Forum Leaders
  • 2398 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:16 PM

There may be a trouble with asking new subforum, but still, I could admins to make after some global forum changes ( mainly after the implementation of new forum system, such as reputation feature ).

I see your point, but the idea of voting doesn't look efficient enough. See, there are so many videos, wich are too horrible, some even don't deserve to stay here, it may take a long while before this mess will be removed from media once and for all, this is why I should act quick without harming the current Media forum structure. I simply can't wait for certain amount of votes before I could make any actions.

Another thing I plan is to remove some waste topics and reduce the amount of overall pages, this should bring some forgotten ( mainly after P15 ) videos and images back and thus make Dota Media fresh again, but I'm not sure if this will work here, because here are +70P full of random stuff.

#4 NotNeTRuNNeR159

NotNeTRuNNeR159

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • Bnet Name:dotalol
  • Bnet Realm:none

Posted 13 July 2009 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE(KOWSAUCE @ Jul 13 2009, 04:50 PM) View Post

this will avoid quality videos being knocked back to second page, and save pizzabump having to put on his necromancer robe every few weeks

troof

Going along with this idea, there is no way to rate good videos among bad, as there are more noobs among us who have no idea about console hider, and just because some user edited his video doesn't mean its good stuff to watch.

imo lock videos older than 2 months so as to prevent necromancing, and apply tags, which then users will pick up and start doing themselves. ie [video] [comic] [regular thread] [troll] [pudge/potm typewriter job]

the whole idea of having the userbase decide what is good and what isn't just won't work, and although the idea is great, we do like to encourage new users to try their luck at with Vegas. What we don't like is overegoed movie critics necromancing 2 year old videos, because they are too lazy to make new ones.

#5 Slichizard

Slichizard

Now, its over.

• Forum Leaders
  • 2398 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE(NotNeTRuNNeR159 @ Jul 14 2009, 07:43 AM) View Post

imo lock videos older than 2 months so as to prevent necromancing, and apply tags, which then users will pick up and start doing themselves. ie [video] [comic] [regular thread] [troll] [pudge/potm typewriter job]

I tagged all threads from P1 up to P10. Now any thread, revived from P11 will be proved to be alive and will also be tagged, this should help to track thread necromancing and organize everything. I asked forum members to tag their topics aswell ( I even made pinned topic with such request ). I plan to make the 3 stage clean-up in few weeks / months, this should also help.

#6 NotNeTRuNNeR159

NotNeTRuNNeR159

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:36 AM

also make a sticky for [progs], they don't really belong in DM as they just always float around on P1, and never go away, and some are older than our necromancers.

PD has already figured this out

#7 Krinlekey

Krinlekey

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Bnet Name:Krinlekey

Posted 14 July 2009 - 06:00 AM

QUOTE(Slichizard @ Jul 13 2009, 08:16 PM) View Post

There may be a trouble with asking new subforum, but still, I could admins to make after some global forum changes

what is this I don't even

#8 Slichizard

Slichizard

Now, its over.

• Forum Leaders
  • 2398 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:33 AM

Usually admins are too lazy to perform such requests, especially now, when they plan to rework a bunch of forum things.

I'll check the number of progs here, but I don't think sticking them all will help much ( I don't want them fill the sticky space ). However, sticking the most important / popular programs could be usefull.

#9 NotNeTRuNNeR159

NotNeTRuNNeR159

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:03 AM

nah don't sticky them separately just make a subsection sticky for them

#10 Slichizard

Slichizard

Now, its over.

• Forum Leaders
  • 2398 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:06 AM

As I said, its troublesome for now. In future, I plan to make subforum for Tools / Programs, so Media main page will only contain Dota related Videos / Images and Audio content.

#11 Kuyakayang

Kuyakayang

i dont like my custom title

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1217 posts
  • Interests:Have a good laugh at whoever read this shit.
  • Bnet Name:iPawnnoobs

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:39 AM

unsticky that ms paint rage please.

#12 Slichizard

Slichizard

Now, its over.

• Forum Leaders
  • 2398 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:37 AM

I will do so, in few days.

Bump, no more suggestions? Hmm, guess I do everything correctly.  sleep.gif

#13 Slichizard

Slichizard

Now, its over.

• Forum Leaders
  • 2398 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:32 AM

Ok, since no one has anything to suggest, here's my idea. I will add ''+'' to tagged threads with positive replies and reviews and ''-'' to negative ones, although, this may be bit unfair, this is why i need your opinion about this.

#14 SpaceFalcon

SpaceFalcon

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Bnet Name:SpaceFalcon

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:07 AM

I came in here to suggest splitting up videos & programs. But it's already been said, I really hate browsing through pages to find programs I like, not a big fan of videos really.

#15 Slichizard

Slichizard

Now, its over.

• Forum Leaders
  • 2398 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE(SpaceFalcon @ Aug 5 2009, 12:07 AM) View Post

I came in here to suggest splitting up videos & programs. But it's already been said, I really hate browsing through pages to find programs I like, not a big fan of videos really.

New subforum will be created especially for programs very soon. All programs, located in Dota Media will be moved to there, also that subforum will serve for some program discussion ( mainly for created ones ).

#16 flemeister

flemeister

Enthusiast

• Forum Crew
  • 4882 posts
  • Interests:DotA!<br /><br />Anything that gives me new skills or lets me help others. Preferably both.
  • Bnet Name:flemeister
  • Bnet Realm:Lordaeron
  • Potential:R

Posted 29 August 2009 - 06:59 AM

QUOTE(Slichizard @ Aug 3 2009, 09:32 PM) View Post
Ok, since no one has anything to suggest, here's my idea. I will add ''+'' to tagged threads with positive replies and reviews and ''-'' to negative ones, although, this may be bit unfair, this is why i need your opinion about this.

Nah, a bit unfair as you said.

Btw, great to see the tag system in use. smile.gif Now we just need that sub-forum for programs (which should feature on DA's main page, not in DotA Media, imo).

Edited by flemeister, 29 August 2009 - 06:59 AM.

#17 Slichizard

Slichizard

Now, its over.

• Forum Leaders
  • 2398 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE(flemeister @ Aug 29 2009, 07:59 PM) View Post

Nah, a bit unfair as you said.

Btw, great to see the tag system in use. smile.gif Now we just need that sub-forum for programs (which should feature on DA's main page, not in DotA Media, imo).

Thanks. About sub-forum, I plan to request one in few days ( 1 week max ), hope by that time, admins will be in good mood.  sleep.gif

#18 orangeonfire

orangeonfire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:Typing inside the &quot;your interests&quot; box.
  • Bnet Name:-

Posted 30 August 2009 - 05:22 PM

Since this thread seems to be pretty barren, I'll give out my opinions. Sub-forum is an excellent idea, since it's annoying to distinguish video or programs. Tag system is nice, but the +/- seems to be unfair and demeaning. As for the admins, I'm sure that they'll be happy enough, and they can no longer be lazy, since the forum executives have moved.

#19 Slichizard

Slichizard

Now, its over.

• Forum Leaders
  • 2398 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:15 AM

Oh, ok. But I still think we need some rating system for good ( HQ, good effects and so on ) and not so good videos, so any idea about this is welcome.

#20 Slichizard

Slichizard

Now, its over.

• Forum Leaders
  • 2398 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 10:24 AM

Bump, now we have new subforum for tools and programs.

There's one thing I still don't know what to do - Media Library. It was founded by King Fear himself and I wasn't instructed on how to deal with it. This is what I think :

After Main Clean-up processes, I'll move all old ( mainly after page 20 ) 5 star threads to media library and add records there. Not sure if this is the way I should act so, um, King, when you next time decide to check this forum, could you tell me what to do? happy.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users