>( '-` )<

• Administrators
  • 2145 posts
  • Bnet Name:supa_fly
  • Bnet Realm:Azeroth
  • Potential:CG

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:43 AM

Fragster interviews Kebap and aHCoS about support
fragster: Let's start this very clear and easy: What are the main things a supporter has to come up with?

Rene 'Kebap' Werner: Above all the most important thing is to have fun with it, talking about you have to be willing to play the support role. Moreover it should not depress you running around with only one bracer and boots in your inventory for quite a long time. Now about the in-game things: I think a supporter should definitely know at any time whether aggressive or defensive wards wards are needed. In addition, he should have map-awareness for rescue teleports and things like that.

Frank-Marian 'aHCoS' Eilers: The point of view differs here. In my opinion the most important thing is that you are not a too ego-related person because you put the personal success behind the good of your team

Buying chicken, placing wards and stealing no lasthits - the most common tasks of a supporter. But it requires more, doesn't it?

Kebap: It sounds pretty simple but the most difficult things for a supporter is probably not to die and knowing how to react in certain situations. I also think that a really good supporter needs a decent amount of skill to know when it is time for anti-warding or teleporting if someone needs to be saved and yet depending to kill the opponent. Some people talk about supporters as if it does not require skill but in my opinion they are totally wrong.

aHCoS:
Yes and no. In some teams you have to do more, for example if you engage in a more aggressive play-style but if your strategy aims on farming and carries, a level seven Maiden, with regularly played wards, can already be sufficient. If you pick Maiden / Alchi / Bristle / Shaker / PotM, and the opponent has got a very weak pusher-lineup, the Maiden player does not have to do more than to wait until his team farmed proper items. But if the enemy picked an offensive gang-strategy, one has to gang with his Maiden, to use his disables wisely in clashes, maybe being able to survive and other things. All this in addition to his supporting role.

Read the entire interview at fragster.de!

#2 red_death

red_death

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Bnet Name:Genocide.run

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:10 AM

Nice to see they interview a 'retired' dota player.....

#3 Negi3

Negi3

Untelligentsia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4263 posts
  • Interests:Being an asshole
  • Bnet Name:Prodota.ru
  • Bnet Realm:Lordaeron

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:06 AM

I of course would like to acknowledge support's contribution and that quite a lot of skill is needed to play a role I would never touch, but it's also extremely depressing to see a zero cs lion/cm/dazzle rockin a bootless build until 20 mins in. No hero should have a reason to feed the moment he enters battle or end up with 3 bracers 1 wand and phase at the end of the game. But sadly that's what is "optimal" for about 50% of the games.

It seems as long as lion manages to get his 3 spells off as fast and possible and retreat from certain death with 3 bracers in tow he has done a good job in battle. Maybe that needs to change. I really appreciate good support but they can have a share in the contributions by at least getting a mek, like non feeding supports eg. abandon

Edited by Negi3, 20 September 2009 - 07:06 AM.

#4 broodstar258

broodstar258

i love men

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3568 posts
  • Bnet Name:Testing_Random

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:11 AM

hard to farm jackshit in an equal match if you're also babying someone else. you're dishing out chick/crow, 300 gold every 3 minutes + optional sents and you need phase boots with only ~20-30cs

my experience but hey i suck

the information is good and coincides with a lot of what i've learned so lalalala

Edited by broodstar258, 20 September 2009 - 07:18 AM.

#5 Nothill

Nothill

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1922 posts
  • Bnet Name:Geodoode

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:41 AM

I remember Papa Drayich's superb Lich, who could do a ton of damage, ward all the map, and live with a pair of boots and Bracers. His support was elegant, and I'd love to hear his comments.

#6 bountyface

bountyface

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Bnet Name:bountyface55

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:59 AM

QUOTE(Nothill @ Sep 20 2009, 10:41 AM) View Post

I remember Papa Drayich's superb Lich, who could do a ton of damage, ward all the map, and live with a pair of boots and Bracers. His support was elegant, and I'd love to hear his comments.

+1 to this.

best support player right now is easily Miracle.  And guess who trained Miracle?

Edited by bountyface, 20 September 2009 - 08:02 AM.

#7 Serious-ly

Serious-ly

Court, can I get a witness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Interests:Music, CS:S etc
  • Bnet Name:Serious-ly
  • Bnet Realm:Northrend

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:52 AM

or fnatics 2 bracer+boots warlock which didnt feed

but this interview was pretty good

#8 RuFFy7

RuFFy7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Bnet Name:demons.RuFFy

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE(red_death @ Sep 20 2009, 09:10 AM) View Post

Nice to see they interview a 'retired' dota player.....

Well, what's the problem?wink.gif Do you think he knows less than other players because he didn't play that much last two weeks?biggrin.png I guess it's okay, because it was an interview about strategy!

#9 Spit-wad

Spit-wad

/ /( . Y . )\ \

• Forum Crew
  • 2722 posts
  • Interests:Drinkin' margaritas, bangin' seƱoritas.
  • Bnet Name:Spit-wad
  • Potential:G

Posted 20 September 2009 - 10:48 AM

If you're < 5 cs at 10 mins, you're probably not playing support correctly.  There's always creeps that your carry can't get to - those are yours.

#10 e7|Stark-

e7|Stark-

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Bnet Name:e7|Stark

Posted 20 September 2009 - 10:54 AM

depends , if a naix with quelling blade , good luck getting even 1

#11 supa_fly.

supa_fly.

>( '-` )<

• Administrators
  • 2145 posts
  • Bnet Name:supa_fly
  • Potential:CG

Posted 20 September 2009 - 10:55 AM

QUOTE(RuFFy7 @ Sep 20 2009, 01:56 PM) View Post

Well, what's the problem?wink.gif Do you think he knows less than other players because he didn't play that much last two weeks?biggrin.png I guess it's okay, because it was an interview about strategy!

I don't think he meant it sarcastically. It is nice to see someone that retired to still be around the scene, I agree with him actually.

#12 GranDGranT9

GranDGranT9

Wiggles

• Forum Contributors
  • 2404 posts
  • Bnet Name:SergiO_3

Posted 20 September 2009 - 11:28 AM

Check my replay in the replay section where I jungl enigma while buying wards/chick/crow.

I agree with most of this thing. People thing Supporting is just buying wards and chick, but cant any hero do that? Baiting/ganking/TPing way more crucial then any wards. Communication is also very high, "Hey solo mid you want to farm or gank" which goes along with offensive/defensive. If you dont communicate you wont be 100%.

#13 ppont

ppont

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Bnet Name:ppont

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:05 PM

You're not supposed to creepsteal but there's still lots of creeps a mostly melee role can't get. Denying, harassing and warding takes up a lot of your time, so getting the farm takes some skill. Warding while you're ganking or when there's a teamfight underway and everyone are just standing around helps get more time though, and avoids your otherwise solo warding trips from turning into feeding sprees.

Great to see some focus on the support players, having the greater view of things takes just as much skill as carrying the team.

#14 kvlc

kvlc

In Ztusi Est

• Moderators
  • 8681 posts
  • Bnet Name:kvlc

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:22 PM

Bought wards they're on chicken.

#15 Onin-

Onin-

Rawr.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5746 posts
  • Bnet Name:Onln
  • Potential:R

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:28 PM

You know you're playing with a good supporter when his inventory consists of meka, phase, and some bracers, your map is warded, their map is empty and your carry still has all the items he needs.

#16 aantsi

aantsi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Bnet Name:aantsi

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE(Onin- @ Sep 20 2009, 03:28 PM) View Post

You know you're playing with a good supporter when his inventory consists of meka, phase, and some bracers, your map is warded, their map is empty and your carry still has all the items he needs.

Or you are just playing onesided game.

#17 Njt7

Njt7

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Bnet Name:Njt7

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:47 PM

God bless assist gold smile.gif

#18 AntiMageZee

AntiMageZee

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Bnet Name:HoneY

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:44 PM

:essential post about NS being greatest support player to ever play dota:

#19 Lord_Talron

Lord_Talron

Silence is golden, until it screams.

• Forum Contributors
  • 2030 posts
  • Bnet Name:Lord_Talron, BackinBlack

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE(Spit-wad @ Sep 20 2009, 02:48 PM) View Post

If you're < 5 cs at 10 mins, you're probably not playing support correctly.  There's always creeps that your carry can't get to - those are yours.

i play with two of the best cs'ers on the planet. its hard

#20 smackcracklepop

smackcracklepop

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1007 posts
  • Interests:Many things ^^
  • Bnet Name:iNteL_iNsaNe

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE(e7|Stark- @ Sep 20 2009, 10:54 AM) View Post