Assembler / Linker

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sohlae

Sohlae

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Programming. Have knowledge in the following programming language:<br /><br />JBasic<br />C &lt;C++, C#.NET&gt;<br />Assembly Language<br /><br />---<br /><br />Database.
  • Bnet Name:js
  • Bnet Realm:none

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:48 AM

Do I need to download a specific program in order to have an assembler / linker for my command prompt? See, I am currently studying assembly language and I downloaded Notepad++ for it. In my classroom whenever I type the command path = c:\tasm\bin and tasm "name of program", the program is automatically assembled and then tlink "name of Program" links it and creates an object, map, and executable file.

The problem is tasm is not recognized as an internal or external command in my laptop and I believe the reason for this is because the command path = c:\tasm\bin is not recognized by my computer as well? Please help, thanks.

Edited by Sohlae, 06 June 2010 - 06:50 AM.

#2 summand

summand

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Bnet Name:summand

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:05 AM

Yes, you need to install it separately.
Maybe your teacher can give it to you since TASM is ancient (newest version is from 1997), otherwise you can get it from here:
http://www.phatcode.net/downloads.php?id=280

To get it from your teacher is preferable because you would get the exact same version.

Otherwise, I would recommend NASM but since you use TASM in your course, stick with it.

#3 Sohlae

Sohlae

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Programming. Have knowledge in the following programming language:<br /><br />JBasic<br />C &lt;C++, C#.NET&gt;<br />Assembly Language<br /><br />---<br /><br />Database.
  • Bnet Name:js

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:46 AM

I guess I'll just have to download TASM since it's what we are using. By the way, does it make a difference if I use a different assembler such as NASM or FASM?

EDIT: I have just downloaded the zip file. On the installation process it says that I have to insert disk 2. But I don't have the a disk or something.

Edited by Sohlae, 07 June 2010 - 07:14 AM.

#4 summand

summand

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Bnet Name:summand

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:42 AM

An assembler has to support the processor/instruction set you want to use. TASM is quite old and you cannot use newer instruction sets. e.g. MMX and all SSE instruction sets are not supported.

Thats fine for training purposes but not for real programs. If you nowadays program assembly on x86 you probably do it because you want to optimize your really, really time critical code and then you want to use those instruction sets... :-)

Anyway: As I recall installer comes in form of floppy disk images. You could try to copy all files in one directory (Disk1, Disk2, Disk3). Not sure if this helps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users