v3.81 - Now updated for 6.52d
An announcement: This guide will no longer be updated by me as I've lost interest in the game. Please send me a pm if you'd like to take over this guide.
- Updated HoM values
- Updated Dark Troll Warlord spells
- Updated Siege unit info
- Updated Creep Pulling & Spawning info
- HoM Transmute bounty changed for some creeps
- Siege units now get a minor bonus when the respective range rax (Temple of the Damned/Ancient of Lore) is destroyed
- Initial creep waves in -ap now spawn 30 seconds later
- Lowered cast range on Neutral Dark Troll's Ensnare
- Increased cooldown on Neutral Dark Troll's Raise Dead
This guide is made for the Dota-AllStars skin which can be changed at the bottom of the page.
Table of Contents
Tip: Use CTRL+F and type in the index number to go straight to that section.
2.0 Dominating Creeps
2.01 Helm of the Dominator
2.02 Aiushtha, Enchantress' Enchant
2.03 Chen, Holy Knight's Holy Persuasion
3.0 Useful Facts
3.02 Hand of Midas *UPDATED*
3.04 Brilliance Auras
3.05 Creep Pulling *UPDATED*
3.06 Creep Upgrades *UPDATED*
5.0 Creep Bestiary *UPDATED*
5.01 Treant/Ghoul, Druid of the Talon/Necromancer, Glaive Thrower/Meat Wagon
5.02 Alpha Wolf
5.03 Black Dragon
5.04 Black Drake
5.05 Blue Dragonspawn Overseer
5.06 Blue Dragonspawn Sorcerer
5.07 Centaur Khan
5.08 Centaur Outrunner
5.09 Dark Troll
5.10 Dark Troll Warlord
5.11 Elder Jungle Stalker
5.12 Enraged Wildkin
5.13 Fel Beast
5.14 Forest Troll Berserker
5.15 Forest Troll High Priest
5.17 Giant Wolf
5.18 Gnoll Assassin
5.19 Granite Golem
5.20 Jungle Stalker
5.22 Kobold Taskmaster
5.23 Kobold Tunneler
5.24 Mud Golem
5.25 Ogre Magi
5.26 Ogre Mauler
5.27 Polar Furbolg Champion
5.28 Polar Furbolg Ursa Warrior
5.29 Rock Golem
5.31 Satyr Hellcaller
5.32 Satyr Soulstealer
5.33 Satyr Trickster
5.35 Supercreeps - Ancient Hydra, Scary Fish, Siege Golem
6.0 Comparisons and Statistics *TEMPORARILY REMOVED*
6.01 The Best Camp?
6.02 EHP per Gold
6.03 Best Creep to HoM
6.04 DPS per EHP
7.0 Closing Thoughts
7.03 Version History
Ever wondered what creeps would be useful to dominate? Which would benefit you the most? Where are they located? Hopefully this simple guide will give you a good idea of the neutral creeps that spawn and the best choices to use.
2.0 Dominating Creeps
Currently, there are only 3 methods of dominating creeps.
2.01 Helm of the Dominator
(image taken from DP)
Comments: Can be used by all heroes, which makes it a very versatile item. Lasts for 20 minutes (!) which is more or less a third of your normal one hour match. Only drawback is that it has an orb effect which might override other useful orbs and its 5 minute cooldown.
Brings target unit under control of Aiushtha. If the unit cannot be converted, it will instead be slowed.
Level 1 - 30 second cooldown, 10% slow if unit cannot be converted.
Level 2 - 25 second cooldown, 20% slow if unit cannot be converted.
Level 3 - 20 second cooldown, 30% slow if unit cannot be converted.
Level 4 - 15 second cooldown, 40% slow if unit cannot be converted.
Comments: Doesn't work on Ancients or Golems. Now that it lasts 2 minutes (since 6.33), it looks like it'll be a decent option now. However, the creep dies after its time period ends, causing you not to gain experience and gold.
Takes control of a target enemy unit.
Level 1 - 1 Unit Max. 75 HP Bonus.
Level 2 - 1 Unit Max. 150 HP Bonus.
Level 3 - 2 Unit Max. 225 HP Bonus.
Level 4 - 3 Unit Max. 300 HP Bonus.
Comments: The ham in Chen's hamburger. The fact that it has a HP bonus and doesn't have a time limit makes this the best choice if you're going for a "creep dominating" built. Synergises very well with his other spells. Penitence to slow the enemy down while your creeps get into range, Test of Faith to instantly teleport your creep safety and Hand of God to fully heal your creeps. Even works with creeps dominated using the Helm of the Dominator. Only drawback is the unit cap.
3.0 Useful Facts
- Controlled creeps can be easily killed with Devour (Lucifer - Doom Bringer) and Hand of Midas.
- Hand of Midas doesn't work on creeps dominated with Helm of the Dominator
- Creeps dominated by Helm of the Dominator can be heavily damaged by Purge (Diffusal Blade, Medusa - Gorgon and Satyr Trickster)
- Dominated creeps can't be seen on the minimap, making them ideal for ganking. Only some are shown on the minimap as small dots (these are the high leveled creeps, meaning the Polar Furbolg Ursa Warrior, Satyr Hellcaller and Centaur Khan).
- Ancients and Golems can't be dominated.
- Placing wards (observer or sentry) and any friendly unit on the neutral creep camp will prevent them from spawning.
- Roshan spawns immediately at the start of the game.
- The rest of the creeps spawn when allied creeps at both lanes at the sides of the map (left and right) start attacking opponent's creeps. Spawns at minute 2:00.
- Neutral creeps always respawn at the minute mark (Roshan spawns 10 minutes after being killed). Meaning, for example, you kill a creep group at the 45th second of a minute. Quickly get out of the area and you just have to wait 15 seconds for the creeps in that area to spawn again. It is important you get a fair distance away though, else they won't spawn. Very useful for timing neutral creep farming. (refer to 3.05 Creep Pulling for better explanation)
- Being an Ancient doesn't mean the creep is spell immune. Creeps that aren't immune to all spells are the Black Drake, Dragonspawn Overseer and Sorcerer.
- Creeps will not spawn at their camp spots if there are remains of any corpse. The trigger that's used to activate spawning is that the area is completely empty.
- Creeps spawn at the minute mark from minute 2:00 onwards.
- You have to be a fair distance away from the creep camp in order for them to spawn. (refer to 3.05 Creep Pulling for better explanation)
- Higher level creeps eg Centaur, Furbolgs, Dragons, Roshan etc are often considered 'smarter' creeps. They have higher target priority over enemies with low health. If you are low on health, be careful not to engage them. You might find them changing targets from and hit you instead. (thanks Ironfisto)
- You can get vital and helpful tips for pulling and farming creeps by reading Creep Pulls and Jungling by Ironfisto (premium quality imo).
(image taken from DP)
Hand of Midas is a very useful farming tool that can reap great monetary benefits if used properly with the correct creeps.
A detailed description of HoM as stated in the Item Ability Mana Costs, Cooldowns, Durations, etc. guide in the Mechanics section.
QUOTEHand of Midas - Mana Cost: 25; Cooldown: 100; Duration: N/A; Range: 600; Max level on target: 5; Gold given: 2 bounties + 40% of unit gold cost.
Though using it with normal creeps (Treant, Druid etc.) will still bring you in enough gold, what's the harm in speeding the process up? The following table is a list of the average gold received from the highest to lowest.
As you can clearly see, unless you see a Dark Troll Warlord, Satyr Hellcaller, Enraged Wildkin, Mud Golem, Centaur Khan, Polar Furbolg Ursa Warrior, Polar Furbolg Champion or Ogre Magi it's best to just use HoM on the Druids/Necros.
The recent update in 6.51 has meant that there are now more options that are of higher value Midased compared to the Druids/Necros.
Purge is found on the Satyr Trickster.
The recent removal of Abolish Magic in 6.42 has meant that there is now only one way to remove buffs and debuffs, which is through the Trickster. In-depth information on what can be and not purged can be found at sdfsdf's Guide to Purge.
The following are ultimates that can be removed by purge(worth remembering).
- Sven, Rogue Knight - God's Strength
- Slithice, Naga Siren - Song of the Siren
- Rooftrellan, Treant Protector - Overgrowth
- Gondar, Bounty Hunter - Track
- Black Arachnia, Broodmother - Insatiable Hunger
- Slardar, Slithereen Guard - Faerie Fire
- Nevermore, Shadow Fiend - Requiem of Souls (slow effect)
- Purist Thunderwrath, Omniknight - Guardian Angel
- Ancient Tango of Essifation - Buff will remain, but healing will be stopped.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity - Cyclone
- Guinsoo's Scythe of Vyse; Rhasta, Shadow Shaman; Lion, Demon Witch - Hex/Voodoo
- Barathrum, Spiritbreaker - Charge of Darkness - Must purge charged unit. If vision of the unit remains, will charge as normal. If vision is lost, it is removed.
- Rooftrellan, Treant Protector - Eyes in the Forest - Tree can be purged.
- Purist Thunderwrath, Omniknight - Repel
There is now no more debate as to which is better as Abolish Magic had been removed in 6.42.
Thus, what's left is only the use of the Satyr Trickster.
As requested by ncpfen01, here's a short discussion on Brilliance Auras.
There are basically 3 ways to generate this aura which is through:
- Ring of Basilius - 0.65
- Vladimir's Offering - 0.80
- Brilliance Aura (Crystal Maiden) - 0.6/1.2/1.8/2.4
As of 6.42, Brilliance Auras are listed actual regen rates, no more percentages.
As of 6.49, Crystal Maiden's Brilliance Aura is global. (woot!)
So, to regen 100 mana, you'd have to wait:
- Ring of Basilius - 2 min 34 sec
- Vladimir's Offering - 2 min 5 sec
- Brilliance Aura (Crystal Maiden) - 2 min 46 sec/1 min 23 sec/56 sec/42 sec
- Brilliance Aura (CM) w/ RoB - 1 min 20 sec/54 sec/41 sec/33 sec
- Brilliance Aura (CM) w/ Vlad's - 1 min 11 sec/50 sec/38 sec/31 sec
A mini-guide to effective jungling. Thanks to Ironfisto for allowing me to use his pictures and info from his excellent Creep Pulls and Jungling Guide.
Here are some pointers (quoted from Ironfisto):
- Corpses takes approximately 15 secs to decay. 2 secs for the flesh to go to the ground, 12 secs for the bones to decay. If you have your finishing blow on the creep by the 45th sec, a new spawn will appear at the next full minute. Make sure you leave the area though.
- You have to be approximately 500-1000 (in most cases) range away from a creep camp for them to respawn. This includes your own/allied/enemy creeps controlled. If you have a hawk which has vision on the spawn point but is than the range, the creeps will still respawn. However, if you have no vision on the camp but you are less than the range, the creeps will not appear.
- A more correct explanation to re-spawns condition is that each camp has an area bounded by a rectangle. If there exist a unit within the area, it will thus not respawn. The fact that it is not a circular area means that the range required to pull it is not always 1000 but varies since the width/length of the rectangle varies.
- All neutral creeps are set to "Guard mode" and have an Aggro of 300 (a more specific term is Acquisition Range). If you fall within that range, they will chase to hit you.
- Their "Guard" range is 600, ie to mean if they will continue hitting you till they die. If you go beyond 600 range, they will still continue to chase/hit you for 3 secs before they make a 180 turn and head back to their original spot to "Guard".
- Given the 3 sec buffer time to lure the creeps out of the camp, it is possible to lure them out within a 500-1000 range and if done right, a new fresh creep spawn will appear in the abandoned camp. Once the original creeps return, you will have 2 sets of neutral spawns at the same spot. You can have 3 sets or more at the same spot too (but just for laughs only).
- Your lane creeps (Ghoul/Necro or Treant/Talons) have an Aggro of 500 for melee and 800 for ranged. Therefore if there is any neutral creeps hitting/chasing you within that distance, your creeps will ignore their original pathing and help you out.
The following image should help you understand what is meant by the rectangular zones Ironfisto talks about.
So all you have to do basically is to lure the creeps out of those zones by the minute mark for a new batch to respawn at the camp. Sounds easy right? The following picture will give you the timings to make it even easier to pull off.
So that's basically it. Read Ironfisto's guide for more indepth explanation with videos.
The spawned creeps (ie. Treants, Druids, Glaives etc) undergo a number of upgrades throughout the game to allow the game to end faster. There are basically three different upgrades that will happen which are:
- Periodical buff to HP and Damage
- Increase in creep numbers
- Buff resulting from destroyed Barracks
This upgrade happens every 7:30 minutes. This is indicated in the creep's portrait like below:
Thus, after 15 minutes, the number will be 2 to indicate to levels of upgrades that have occurred.
Note that this upgrade only happens to Treants/Ghouls and Druids/Necros, not Glaives/Meat.
The buffs that happen are:
- +10 HP
- +1 min & max damage for Treant/Ghouls
- +2 min & max damage for Druids/Necros
Here's an illustration to help you better understand.
Initial HP of Treant: 550
Initial Dmg of Treant: 19-23
After 22:30 minutes (3 upgrades), the creep would have:
Increase in creep numbers
If you've been playing for a while, you might have noticed that the number of creeps increase as the game goes on.
- Treants/Ghouls increase by one at minute 17:00 and increases every 16:30 minutes to a cap of 6 creeps.
- Druids/Necros & Glaives/Meats increase by one at minute 45:00 to a cap of 2 creeps.
What it means is that throughout the whole game you can only have a maximum of 6 Treants/Ghouls, 2 Druids/Necros and 2 Glaives/Meats.
Thus, creep increments for Treants/Ghouls will only occur at minute 17:00, 33:30, 50:00.
Creep increments for Druids/Necros & Glaives/Meats will only occur at minute 45:00
- 1:30 - 3 Melee, 1 Ranged (1 Siege)*
- 17:00 - 4 Melee, 1 Ranged (1 Siege)
- 33:30 - 5 Melee, 1 Ranged (1 Siege)
- 45:00 - 5 Melee, 2 Ranged (2 Siege)
- 50:00 - 6 Melee, 2 Ranged (2 Siege)
Note: This does not apply to -lm or -rd modes
Buff resulting from destroyed Barracks
When the barracks at the opponent's lane is destroyed, the creeps in that lane will get an upgrade. In order to calculate the buff to the creep, the following formula is used:
HP = 150 + 9a
Min Dmg = 17 + a
Max Dmg = 21 + a
Armor = 1
where a = Upgrade Level
HP = 175 + 8a
Min Dmg = 20 + a
Max Dmg = 20 + a
Armor = 1
where a = Upgrade Level
QUOTEGlaive Thrower/Meat Wagon
Dmg increases from 35-46 to 51-62 when ranged rax is destroyed
If after 22:30 minutes, the middle lane's barracks (for Treant) has been destroyed, the Treant's stats would be:
HP = 580 + 150 + 9(3) = 757
Dmg = (22 + 17 + 3)-(26 + 21 + 3) = 42-50
Armor = 2 + 1 = 3
Mega creeps happen when all the barracks in the opponent's base are destroyed. All your creeps will gain a level 30 upgrade.
Note that if middle lane has the last barracks that is destroyed, top and bottom lanes' creeps would instantly upgrade to Mega level while the middle lane's would only have upgraded creeps when they next spawn.
Hope that helps you understand in more detail the process of creep upgrades. If you need clarification, I'd be happy to help explain it.
The following image is the spawning locations of all the neutral creeps that you can find.
There are 5 tiers of creeps that can be found throughout the map.
Tier 1 units are the easiest and represented by the WHITE dots.
Tier 2 units are mid level and represented by the BROWN dots.
Tier 3 units are the hardest non-ancient creeps and are represented by the BLUE dots.
Ancients are represented by the PINK dots.
Roshan is represented by the YELLOW dot.
Basically, certain groups of creeps spawn at certain locations. Each type of creep will spawn with another type of creep. The following images should illustrate what I'm trying to explain.
[Continued on next post...]
Edited by MrX, 12 October 2008 - 07:28 AM.