Posted 04 February 2008 - 12:08 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb_RRSP-Ea8

\=D/ lalalala lalalala lalala lalalalala

#22 Taxes-

Taxes-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1438 posts
  • Interests:Physics and Classical music!
  • Bnet Name:.
  • Bnet Realm:Azeroth

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:25 PM

IPB Image

Blut Aus Nord

Black Metal band from France, Blut Aus Nord is one of those bands that has managed to substantially change their output without falling into mediocrity. The earlier albums of theirs are more traditionnal black metal, with at times a subtle nod at earlier Enslaved or Burzum, but with "The Work Which Tranforms God" they wandered in territories never explored before. While "Ultima Thulée" is a contemplative album that sometimes reminds an ambient recording (not that it doesn't have more energetic parts, like during the great "On the Way to Vigrid"), TWWTG is dark, brooding and very haunting with it's masterful use of repetitiveness and the unsettling off-beat drumming.

Ultima Thulée, The Work Which Transforms God and Fathers of the Icy Age are all great records that I recommend highly.

Fan Myspace that has two great songs from both UT and TWWTG.

Edited by Taxes-, 04 February 2008 - 05:27 PM.

#23 Fratyris

Fratyris

Suck My Guts And Lick My Heart

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3503 posts
  • Bnet Name:fratyris.
  • Bnet Realm:Northrend
  • Potential:R

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:06 PM

Any other fans of Shining in here?

#24 Taxes-

Taxes-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1438 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 08:41 PM

I'm not sold at all about all this the DSBM stuff, Shining included. It just seems to me rather weak and self-loathing. Boring stuff.

#25 Ungeheuer

Ungeheuer

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1344 posts
  • Interests:Music, Art, Nature.
  • Bnet Name:Ungeheuer
  • Bnet Realm:none

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE(Taxes- @ Feb 5 2008, 06:41 AM) View Post
I'm not sold at all about all this the DSBM stuff, Shining included. It just seems to me rather weak and self-loathing. Boring stuff.
Lurker of Chalice is the only true depressive black metal band I ever really got into, they're good.

Oh yes, and Bethlehem of course, but their lyrics and music are much more symbolic and subtle, not blandly self-loathing. Their music also alternates between brutal, aggressive black metal, slow "depressive" passages and quiet sections, it doesn't really qualify as depressive black metal - maybe that's why it's such an amazing album.

#26 Galam

Galam

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Bnet Name:Galam

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE(Ungeheuer @ Feb 3 2008, 05:38 AM) View Post

I never had a thing for the bleak, aggressive black metal bands; the more epic, trancy, tranquil and atmospheric bands like Burzum, Weakling, Summoning, Drudkh, Astrofaes, Hate Forest, Lunar Aurora or Nagelfar always were more appealing to me. I've also got a thing for post-black/black metal hybrids, such as later Dornenreich, Wolves in the Throne Room (whom I'll see on the 6th of this month) or Alcest.

Wow WHAT! Some one that knows Lunar Aurora and Nagelfar + 1k man points to you. I think those two bands are one of the most underrated and unappriciated german black metal bands. Their works really own. Also try The Ruins of Beverast that's the Nagelfar drummer's side project and it's really great stuff too.

#27 Kapnobatai

Kapnobatai

BadeaCelRau

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts
  • Bnet Name:BadeaCelRau

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:55 AM

QUOTE(Galam @ Feb 5 2008, 09:14 AM) View Post

Wow WHAT! Some one that knows Lunar Aurora and Nagelfar + 1k man points to you. I think those two bands are one of the most underrated and unappriciated german black metal bands. Their works really own. Also try The Ruins of Beverast that's the Nagelfar drummer's side project and it's really great stuff too.

The Ruins of Beverast, the second album "rain upon the impure" is pretty good. I like the first track very much "50 forts along the Rhine". First album, only listened to it once, don't remember much except for those lame horror movies fragments >_<
Nagelfar, bleah techno influences ~_~. One thing people should notice about Nagelfar is the vocal on Virus West, Zingultus :000
Lunar Aurora is just too damn complex for my brain. I don't understand a thing >_<
Gimme 1.5k points happy.gif

But those are weak :[ some real stuff would be Nargaroth, Wolfszorn, Wolfsmond, Graven :>

Edited by Kapnobatai, 05 February 2008 - 12:55 AM.

#28 Lucifer Incestus

Lucifer Incestus

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Bnet Name:Lucifer Incestus

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:45 AM

Depressive BM.....

You know, I don't really like Xasthur, but I love Nortt. Even if it's more Funeral BM. I still think it captures what it was meant to do. Anyone agree?

#29 Ungeheuer

Ungeheuer

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1344 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE(Kapnobatai @ Feb 5 2008, 10:55 AM) View Post
The Ruins of Beverast, the second album "rain upon the impure" is pretty good. I like the first track very much "50 forts along the Rhine". First album, only listened to it once, don't remember much except for those lame horror movies fragments >_<
Nagelfar, bleah techno influences ~_~. One thing people should notice about Nagelfar is the vocal on Virus West, Zingultus :000
Lunar Aurora is just too damn complex for my brain. I don't understand a thing >_<

But those are weak :[ some real stuff would be Nargaroth, Wolfszorn, Wolfsmond, Graven :>
lol, Nargaroth. Bores me to death & Renee and his lyrics are a joke.

And what's wrong with the dark electronica/techno influence in some of Nagelfar's work, even Burzum shows some influences from that direction, many black metal musicians (Varg, Fenriz) are or were techno fans. Still, I prefer Nagelfar's Hünengrab im Herbst to their other stuff, it's their best one imo.

#30 Taxes-

Taxes-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1438 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE(Ungeheuer @ Feb 5 2008, 02:39 PM) View Post

lol, Nargaroth. Bores me to death & Renee and his lyrics are a joke.

And what's wrong with the dark electronica/techno influence in some of Nagelfar's work, even Burzum shows some influences from that direction, many black metal musicians (Varg, Fenriz) are or were techno fans. Still, I prefer Nagelfar's Hünengrab im Herbst to their other stuff, it's their best one imo.

Come on, you can't exactly be meaning that lyrics like those are bad?

QUOTE(KANWULF)
I Still Know

I still know what Black Metal is all about
Blood, fire and pain
A fight with daemons in your Soul

Blood, fire and pain
A black flame that burns inside

Black Vinyl, demo tapes,
Carries sounds and ancient spells.
Black leather, Jeans patch coat,
Boots, spikes, black long hair.

That's deep and profound, isn't it?

And well, jokes aside, I've never really cared about Bethlehem. When I first heard Dark Metal, it didn't really impress me. I find that Dictius Te Necare is a bit better, though not really amazing either by my standards.

Anyway, I'll probably try to listen to Dark Metal another time to see if my opinion of it has changed over time.

#31 Fratyris

Fratyris

Suck My Guts And Lick My Heart

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3503 posts
  • Bnet Name:fratyris.
  • Potential:R

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:59 PM

Naglfar or Nagelfar?

And, anyone else in here agrees with me our dear troll-wannabe should check out Stalaggh? Or however they are written...

#32 Ungeheuer

Ungeheuer

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1344 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:06 PM

Nagelfar, despite having undeniably cool album titles (We are Naglfar - Fuck you!) the one without the e is pretty boring.

And I consider the Australian band Portal to be far superior to Stalaggh, Outre was an amazing album, I'm eager to hear more by them.

#33 Kapnobatai

Kapnobatai

BadeaCelRau

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts
  • Bnet Name:BadeaCelRau

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:38 AM

Stalaggh? :0 w00ts that? portal? blink.gif
I love you too Fratyris *hugs back* >:D<

Edit: ohh I listened to 1 song on youtube, what are those? drunken cats?
As for portal, it happens to be death/black metal? no thanx :[ I have a feeling that they are similar to Satanochio :-?

Edited by Kapnobatai, 06 February 2008 - 12:58 AM.

#34 Galam

Galam

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Bnet Name:Galam

Posted 06 February 2008 - 01:04 AM

I'm assuming you guys are talking about the Nagelfar - Trümmer song. I doubt that you could say those artists were influenced by techno. I think they are more into experimental electronica, which I like a lot personaly. Think of it as, a blast beat doesn't neccessary make a black/death metal song kind of way. I think that song is a really nice fussion of their black metal style in an electronic version. Hell you could spawn a whole new genre from that song alone, that's why I think they put it on the album. I kind of like this kind of stuff a lot, so I'd recommend Dodheimsgard - 666 International for a nice fussion of industrial sounds , the bizzare & black metal.

#35 Taxes-

Taxes-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1438 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:05 PM

Portal is one of those bands that you have to listen to their albums in their entirety to really understand what they're about. I had been hearing about them for a long time before I really took the time to listen to Outre, and well I hadn't really given them attention mostly because the individual songs I had heard from them weren't that interesting.

But then, when you listen to the album from the start to the end, you get the full picture and that's when you can start to realise that it's something great and special. Pretty good band, seriously.

And another band you guys should check is Sorcier Des Glaces. It's a truly great 1 man black metal band from Quebec that writes music about cold (QUÉBEC!) winters, misanthropy and darkness. Sounds cliché when said like that, but he does manage to keep it from falling into ridicule very well. Snowland is seriously one of my favorite Black Metal album ever and Moonrise In Total Darkness is also nothing short of amazing.

Here's his myspace. He's writing a new album atm which should hopefully be as amazing as the other two smile.gif.

ps How was the WitTR show Ungeheuer?

#36 Ungeheuer

Ungeheuer

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1344 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE(Taxes- @ Feb 8 2008, 06:05 AM) View Post
ps How was the WitTR show Ungeheuer?
Excellent, very atmospheric. Candlelit stage, fog machine and otherwise complete darkness added another level of greatness to the already bombastic sound, hearing their droning, harmonizing riffs while feeling the double bass throbbing like a second heartbeat in your chest is an amazing experience, they played all but the first track of Two Hunters as well as both parts of A Face in the Nighttime Mirror, I was a little disappointed they didn't play Queen of the Borrowed Light, still, an amazing show.

I chatted a little with Nathan after the show, seems like a great guy.

#37 Taxes-

Taxes-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1438 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:44 PM

Sounds like a good show, were there any support bands or was it just them?

I haven't been listening to their albums for a long time, but it seems to me that Diadem is the strongest one of their discography, I was actually surprised at how I liked it. Two Hunter seems a bit weaker to my ears, it's a bit too dronish for me perhaps. Not exactly the kind of black metal that I prefer though (too much treehugging and not enough HATE! =o).

Edited by Taxes-, 07 February 2008 - 08:45 PM.

#38 Ungeheuer

Ungeheuer

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1344 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE(Taxes- @ Feb 8 2008, 06:44 AM) View Post
Sounds like a good show, were there any support bands or was it just them?
Local blackened death band by the name of Dark Deception, not horrible, didn't impress me either.

QUOTE(Taxes- @ Feb 8 2008, 06:44 AM) View Post
I haven't been listening to their albums for a long time, but it seems to me that Diadem is the strongest one of their discography, I was actually surprised at how I liked it. Two Hunter seems a bit weaker to my ears, it's a bit too dronish for me perhaps.
That's how I felt about Two Hunters too, at first, but it grew to me pretty fast - it's actually more black-metalish than its predecessor, the tempos are more consistent now, the post-rockish, slowed down, very melodic hooks have become rarer or made way for ambient soundscapes, I like it.

Edited by Ungeheuer, 07 February 2008 - 09:10 PM.

#39 Adorior

Adorior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Bnet Name:Adorior

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:41 AM

Albums in the op are amazing, I have all of them but Dark Funeral - Diabolis Interium. I can't really think of my favorite black metal albums, to be honest I don't really like the genre as a whole, just a few bands out of it. I guess Nortt, Elysian Blaze, Lurker of Chalice, Leviathan, Xasthur, Velvet Cacoon, and stuff like that. Basically the only real "pure" black metal band I really enjoy is mayhem, otherwise it's all black/folk, black/ambient, black/death, and black/doom for me.

I have my forum name+avatar after a pretty kvlt black death group from England, check them out here www.myspace.com/adorior

Prepare to have your pitiful virgin cunt ears shredded off by unholy blasphemies from the 19th level of hell while the goat pisses on your head and you tend to the greasy phallus of lord satan.

Only other recommendation I've got is called Clad in Darkness, a progressive black metal band from Chicago, not really tr00 or anything, but pretty interesting combination of black metal and blues.
http://www.myspace.com/cladindarkness

And of course I gotta plug Dolorian for anyone who hasn't heard it. Only their first album is remotely black metal, the 2nd and 3rd are more of a very bizzare and deeply spiritual doom/ambient type of thing.
http://www.myspace.com/dolorianfans
definitely requires a patient listener.

#40 mutantllama1337

mutantllama1337

Enthusiast

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Bnet Name:mutantllama

Posted 14 February 2008 - 01:02 PM

What are your thoughts on Limbonic Art? I listened to a bit, and liked it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users