#1 Evero

Evero

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Bnet Name:Evero
  • Bnet Realm:Northrend

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:18 AM

This is a tutorial made for anyone that wishes to be able to host. Yes, I realized there's one already, but this one is much more thorough and spesifically states how to solve a lot of problems you'll get with alot of brands if you use the previous guide. I've made it as easy to understand as possible, for your convenience.

If you follow this tutorial to every step necessary you WILL be able to host games, set up dedicated servers etc. Just change the ports to the spesified ports for each game/server.

First thing you gotta do is to check how many routers you have in the house which the internet is passing through, and also check the manufactorers of these routers.

The definition on a router is (according to my dictionary) a switch that contains a network port which says "internet"

NB! If you have 2 or more routers with an "internet" connection on it, read fast through the first two lessons and start on lesson 1 after lesson 4

First lesson: Setting up a static ip

1. Enter your Network connections, and find out which connection is being used ATM. First off, you right-click this connection, and press status. Press details/advanced to see the full map of IPs.

2. While being inside these details, right-click the connection again, but this time press properties. Once in, you double click the thingy saying Internet protocol, or TCP/IP, on Vista, Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4).

3. Now enter all the details described in number 1 into number 2. There you go; the one saying IP address is now your static IP.

Second lesson: Setting up an internal firewall

1. This is the firewall you have on your computer (Windows, Norton, McAfee, Sygate etc, etc) What I recommend is for you to simply turn it off while hosting.

2. If not; make sure the program will permit Warcraft 3 on the network, and also open ports 6112-6119 TCP.

Third lesson: Setting up a regular firewall

1. Depending on your router, enter it in several ways;
     a ) Through internet (type the ip in the address line)
     b ) Telnet. Press the windows button while pressing R. Then you type in cmd.exe and press RUN. When in the command prompt type Telnet "IP". Example: telnet 10.0.0.1
The ip of the router can be found on your very own computer. Right-click the internet connection your using and press status. The IP following Gateway will be your router connected to this computer.

2. The Username/Password will vary from router to router, but the standard will be ADMIN, both when it comes to Username and Password, or just one of the two. (If this isn't the case, talk to the people setting up the router/eventually talking to your parents/ISP)

3. Once your inside the router you should start messing around. First off; go to the section called NAT. Here you should type in the battle.net ports, which is 6112-6119, and open these on TCP directed to your static IP that we made in lesson 1. The Internal IP address is your PC, while the Global IP address should say 0.0.0.0, which allows everyone on the outside of your house to reach your game.

4. In some routers theres also a Firewall option, where you have to put the details on your ports in again. Do this step like on the NAT
option.

Fourth lesson: Setting up wireless access point

1. This is the part for those with 2 or more routers with the "internet" connection. What we're going to do is make the firewall inside those extra routers invalid, making them a part of the network of your last router (The one with no routers between itself and the internet)

2. Take a look at this picture;
IPB Image
What your going to do is to make the whole network into LAN1, meaning only the firewall of R1 is working.

3. So; enter the router named R2 (2nd router from the internet) and cancel its option saying DHCP (If this option is enabled, the router will start giving out IP addresses to your network)

4. Now you enter a static IP for the router, and an IP easy to remember, for example 10.0.0.100

5. Now you restart it to make the new options work, and move the cable from the "internet" connection till a normal LAN connection, meaning the cable from R1 should be next to the cables to the computers in R2.

6. Now, if you did this right it should work, if not, please try again. If you have even more routers repeat step 3,4 and 5, first with R3, then R4 and so on.

7. Now return to lesson 1

If you'd like to test whether you made it or not, test your ports easily here instead of wasting people's time getting them stuck on b.net

Also, if you somehow shouldn't find what you where looking for here and don't want to ask me you could always try to understand the harder tutorials here

By:Evero

P.S. If you are using Vista you would not have Telnet Klient installed on the computer, but if you go to control panel - uninstall programs - turn windows features on or off - find Telnet klient and there u go!

P.S.S. If you have special needs/special routers take contact with me or add reply here and I'll try to help additionally

#2 DotA-Lawlstars

DotA-Lawlstars

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • Bnet Name:°_º
  • Bnet Realm:Kalimdor

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:26 PM

Yeah that other guide is garbage - I've been working on a guide myself. I'm about half way through but I just don't have a lot of spare time to work on it.

I've read through it all and have a few spots you may like to improve or expand on.
a router is a switch that contains a network port which says "internet"
I have two routers that do not fall under this description =) This 'internet' port tends to be separated from the LAN ports. It may be labelled as WAN, or it could be a port not labelled as LAN (or the ethernet symbol <-->).

find out which connection is being used ATM
How would one do this? Most computers could have quite a few listed here (eg firewire, bluetooth and mobile phones). The test on portforward.com could work here.

Re: Firewall
What I recommend is for you to simply turn it off while hosting
It is a good idea to have it off while setting up your router, however once you can host through it, you should turn it back on and configure it to work as well.

Also, some firewalls can automatically setup a rule based on the first IP address it connects to. Warcraft must have access to all IP addresses.

Re: Lesson Three
1) Put obtaining the router IP address info above the steps.
a) Add some examples eg http://192.168.0.1 http://10.1.1.1 etc.

3) NAT could be shown as Port Forwarding, Port Mapping, or Virtual Server (could be more). I rarely see NAT used. These may also be hidden under an Advanced section. May like to mention port forwarding is not port triggering.

you should type in the battle.net ports, which is 6112-6119
Have to be careful with this. There are quite a few threads that pop up here dealing with multiple computers. This rule does not work in such a case. May like to explain how the game port in Warcraft links in (Options->Gameplay -> Game Port). Eg port 6112 should go to computer 1, 6113 goes to computer 2 etc. Then possibly mention LC and other hosting programs. These make a computer require an additional port forwarded.

Re: Lesson Four
4) This IP address should be of the same form as the router so it can be accessed later.

If you'd like to test whether you made it or not, test your ports easily here instead of wasting people's time getting them stuck on b.net
This site does not host a server that can respond. I have port 6118 forwarded correctly, but it said the request timed out or the port is closed. The result that is shown here is largely based on how a computer actually handles packets destined for a port that does not have a server. Sometimes they are returned, and other times they are dropped displaying the port is closed/timed out.

You should probably have the steps like so
- Host a private game on battle.net
- Alt-Tab/minimise and check your port (*using the custom port option*)
It will say the port is open if it is working correctly.

I've also used canyouseeme.org in the past, however I think yours is tidier.

Anyhow,  tup.gif

#3 lordofsoup

lordofsoup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Bnet Name:lordofsoup
  • Bnet Realm:Azeroth

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:37 PM

norton blocks everything under the sun, I couldent even get to this sight, till i stole my moms password, and unblocked it.  But i still cant figure out how to unblock battle.net

#4 Lytesson

Lytesson

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Bnet Name:Lytesson
  • Bnet Realm:Azeroth

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:48 PM

Yea norton is crap and buggy

Nice guide btw

Edited by Lytesson, 19 December 2008 - 07:49 PM.

#5 Evero

Evero

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Bnet Name:Evero
  • Bnet Realm:Northrend

Posted 19 December 2008 - 11:22 PM

I have two routers that do not fall under this description =) This 'internet' port tends to be separated from the LAN ports. It may be labelled as WAN, or it could be a port not labelled as LAN (or the ethernet symbol <-->).

As an european I'm new to the hole "WAN" thing, but as you state i'll put it in as soon as I can.

How would one do this? Most computers could have quite a few listed here (eg firewire, bluetooth and mobile phones). The test on portforward.com could work here.

Well, it's obviously the one that says "local area connection", but then again, it might not be so obvious to everyone. In vista it's easier tho, because there's this globe at the connection connected to the internet.

It is a good idea to have it off while setting up your router, however once you can host through it, you should turn it back on and configure it to work as well.

That's up to each and every one in my opinion, because I find the built-in firewalls rather lacking, and because it'd be hard to include a firewall setup for each and every version of the firewall programs existing. Not only because every manufactorer uses different setups, but because the interface is different from version to version.

Also, some firewalls can automatically setup a rule based on the first IP address it connects to. Warcraft must have access to all IP addresses.

The problem is then that you'll have to always be the first to connect to the router, so that all other computers will have to be turned off when you turn on yours.

Re: Lesson Three
1) Put obtaining the router IP address info above the steps.
a) Add some examples eg http://192.168.0.1 http://10.1.1.1 etc.

Consider it done.

3) NAT could be shown as Port Forwarding, Port Mapping, or Virtual Server (could be more). I rarely see NAT used. These may also be hidden under an Advanced section. May like to mention port forwarding is not port triggering.

Again, as an european, NAT is everywhere. NAT is, unless you have a static external ip, impossible to turn off, and has to be configured in order to host. NAT is the ports you open through the router, so if you open a port in NAT, you don't specify an ip. The firewall only forwards this port to the specified ip. (At least in Europe)

Have to be careful with this. There are quite a few threads that pop up here dealing with multiple computers. This rule does not work in such a case. May like to explain how the game port in Warcraft links in (Options->Gameplay -> Game Port). Eg port 6112 should go to computer 1, 6113 goes to computer 2 etc. Then possibly mention LC and other hosting programs. These make a computer require an additional port forwarded.

Absolutely correct, may include that it is possible to use more than the 6112-6119, but these are not default and not specifically supported by battle.net. However, it's a good idea to use 6112-6119 as there's next to no chance of these ports being used by some other random program.

Re: Lesson Four
4) This IP address should be of the same form as the router so it can be accessed later.

This site does not host a server that can respond. I have port 6118 forwarded correctly, but it said the request timed out or the port is closed. The result that is shown here is largely based on how a computer actually handles packets destined for a port that does not have a server. Sometimes they are returned, and other times they are dropped displaying the port is closed/timed out.

You should probably have the steps like so
- Host a private game on battle.net
- Alt-Tab/minimise and check your port (*using the custom port option*)
It will say the port is open if it is working correctly.

I've also used canyouseeme.org in the past, however I think yours is tidier.

Anyhow,  tup.gif

Again, you're correct. I'll rewrite it as soon as I get the time.

@lordofsoup: That's why I made this guide

#6 3xpoz3d

3xpoz3d

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Bnet Name:3xpoz3
  • Bnet Realm:none

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:22 PM

Can someone help me, i have gotten hosting to work on my friends computer with the acception of a few problems but fixable easily but they re-occure, thats not the problem though, the problem is getting this to work on MY computer, i have done the same stuff i have done to his comp (but he has XP, i have vista) and it does not work, i am guessing it has something to do with my anti-virus/spyware programs, i have PC-Cillin internet security, and SpySweeper, and i think windows defender kinda runs in the backround random times but i usually have it off, can anyone tell me how to get those 2 anti-"" to let me host, or if that is not the problem, what i need do.

I have tried just turning them off but that didnt work.
thanks in advanced guys, if someone can email me to give me more direct help that would be great, Csfanatic77@yahoo.com

I turned off every source of protection by looking at my Security Center page, and still cant host, i even tried it WITH and WITHOUGHT a static IP adress, both did not work, i have all of the ports opened on both the router and the Win. Firewall even though its not activated, its still not working, im stumped as to what could still be stopping it.

Edited by 3xpoz3d, 06 March 2009 - 07:55 PM.

#7 OwnageAxe

OwnageAxe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Bnet Name:bringiton
  • Bnet Realm:Lordaeron

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:25 AM

I'm still very confused... i only have one router and all it has on it is speedtouch. How do you find out which one is using ATM?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users