#1 -The-Observer-

-The-Observer-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2140 posts
  • Bnet Name:Black_Mamba_
  • Bnet Realm:Azeroth

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:16 PM

If so post some bands that rock out loud!!

i might know them, but then who knows!

some of my favs are

cloud cult, clap your hands say yeah, of montreal, flaming lips

No one at my school is into indie music, but i hear it's big in college

#2 Rave-

Rave-

r a v e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1365 posts
  • Interests:DotA
  • Bnet Name:.
  • Bnet Realm:Lordaeron

Posted 09 March 2008 - 11:08 PM

cough* where is cloudpost cough*

There's quite a few subgenres to indie. Like more experimental (LCD Soundsystem, Klaxons, Hot Chip) vs rock (The Strokes, Kings of Leon) and somewhere in the middle would be like Bloc Party IMO.

Right now I like Boy Kill Boy. I got their first album for almost a $100 and it was well worth it IMO. Even though the reception wasn't that good I still recommend having a listen to them.

Also liking Crystal Castles right now. FUNKY!

#3 bravoz

bravoz

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Bnet Name:Name

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:14 AM

Is Jimmy Eat World indie?

#4 cloudpost

cloudpost

I'm a French Duke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Bnet Name:ihaveaidslol

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:00 AM

QUOTE(Rave- @ Mar 10 2008, 02:08 AM) View Post

cough* where is cloudpost cough*

There's quite a few subgenres to indie. Like more experimental (LCD Soundsystem, Klaxons, Hot Chip) vs rock (The Strokes, Kings of Leon) and somewhere in the middle would be like Bloc Party IMO.

Right now I like Boy Kill Boy. I got their first album for almost a $100 and it was well worth it IMO. Even though the reception wasn't that good I still recommend having a listen to them.

Also liking Crystal Castles right now. FUNKY!

Sup.

Aforementioned bands are all excellent (especially Bloc Party!)

Yeah there are so many genres of indie, my personal favourite is indie dance. Bands like Cut Copy, Justice, LCD Soundsystem, Digitalism, The Rapture, Midnight Juggernauts, MSTRKRFT, The Presets etc.

QUOTE(bravoz @ Mar 10 2008, 09:14 AM) View Post

Is Jimmy Eat World indie?

No not really.

#5 hoon

hoon

Here's some music to crash your car to

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1200 posts
  • Interests:food, etc.
  • Bnet Name:Fightgar

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:51 PM

Indie is a ridiculously subjective category, so you could really knock yourself out going for a label as simple and broad as that.

uhh, listen to The Moon and Antarctica by Modest Mouse.

Also, Bloc Party has always been the biggest disappointment for me.  They have a talented guitarist, competent bassist, excellently catchy licks, and absolutely phenomenal drumming; but the thing with them is, Okereke's singing has never really been good.  His lyrics have been less than inspiring, and his voice just doesn't really fit like others' could.  I guess my take on them is that they could seriously shine with a different vocalist; but at this point they're pretty stuck below that "next level", so to speak.

#6 -The-Observer-

-The-Observer-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2140 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE(hoon @ Mar 10 2008, 06:51 PM) View Post

Indie is a ridiculously subjective category, so you could really knock yourself out going for a label as simple and broad as that.

uhh, listen to The Moon and Antarctica by Modest Mouse.

Also, Bloc Party has always been the biggest disappointment for me.  They have a talented guitarist, competent bassist, excellently catchy licks, and absolutely phenomenal drumming; but the thing with them is, Okereke's singing has never really been good.  His lyrics have been less than inspiring, and his voice just doesn't really fit like others' could.  I guess my take on them is that they could seriously shine with a different vocalist; but at this point they're pretty stuck below that "next level", so to speak.

modest mouse rules

ill have to check out some of the bands you guys mentioned thanks a lot!

when i say indie - i mean they aren't really mainstream (bye bloc party), but they are like weird, hippy, dance music... sorta..

its hard to describe

but i started this thread with the "indie" title because i think i would get more users to talk about indie in general, than like 1 guy who says "yeah"

#7 joymonger

joymonger

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Bnet Name:joymonger.

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:45 PM

i can recommend:

folky -
sufjan stevens ('illinois' is a great start)
neutral milk hotel ('in the aeroplane over the sea.' favorite album ever)
okkervil river ('black sheep boy' is very good)

electronic -
broken social scene ('you forgot in people' is another favorite of mine)
m83 (try 'before the dawn heals us')
lcd soundsystem (already praise in this thread. 'sound of silver')

experimental -
animal collective (try 'strawberry jam,' their most accessible)
panda bear ('person pitch,' solo project of one of animal collective)
liars ('drums not dead')

shoegaze/noise -
autolux ('future perfect')
no age (local los angeles band. 'weirdo rippers')
deerhunter ('cryptograms' and 'fluorescent grey')

rock -
spoon ('gimme fiction')
pavement ('crooked rain, crooked rain')
sonic youth (anything from the 80s, 'goo,' and 'murray street')
the dismemberment plan ('emergency & i.' one of my all-time faves)

whew.  more than half of these could be easily found on torrents.  get busy, pirate!  arrrrr!  

are there any other drones of pitchfork out here?  that's where i get about half of my recommendations from.

#8 Flying_Lemon

Flying_Lemon

You are now in the Empire of the Flying Lemon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Bnet Name:FlyingLemon

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:57 PM

unfortuanately I am not terrible familiar with the indie genre (though I do have one and a half modest mouse albums, which I do like).  Also, If The Strokes are considered Indie (I thought that they were more rock than indie) then I guess I have a few "indie" cds.

I am wondering if any of these bands would be considered indie:
Arcade Fire
Beck
Cake
Death Cab
Guster
The Killers
Marcy Playground
The Raconteurs
Radiohead (I realize that most radiohead probably isn't, but maybe some is)
The Shins
Sublime

Thanks in advance smile.gif  If any of this is considered indie, then I suppose I do like it

#9 hoon

hoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1200 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE(joymonger @ Mar 10 2008, 09:45 PM) View Post

folky -
sufjan stevens ('illinois' is a great start)
neutral milk hotel ('in the aeroplane over the sea.' favorite album ever)
okkervil river ('black sheep boy' is very good)
All you should need for a year. Or ever.

#10 joymonger

joymonger

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE(hoon @ Mar 10 2008, 08:33 PM) View Post

All you should need for a year. Or ever.

combined, i have probably spent a month of my life listening to those three albums, either on my ipod or at my computer.

and flying_lemon:
regarding radiohead: they're indie in sound, but not in numbers.  but i guess one can call them indie now they've left their major label.

anyone else like 'in rainbows'? i thought it was pretty damn good.  not 'kid a' good, but good.

EDIT:
hoon:  i'm sure you've heard the guy from brand new cover 'oh comely.'  but if not, do so immediately.  it's pretty amazing.  not a brand new fan, but that cover does the original justice.

Edited by joymonger, 10 March 2008 - 08:44 PM.

#11 cloudpost

cloudpost

I'm a French Duke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:41 AM

My view on how to define indie is this: It's more of an attitude than an actual genre. An attitude that focuses more on making great music than on making money, but if success comes, it's because of musical brilliance (Arcade Fire for one.) So it's not about what label a band is on, it's more of an attitude, a movement if you will.

Besides, who really cares about pigeon hole-ing bands into genres. I won't only listen to "indie" bands just because that's what is cool. Just because Bloc Party are now "mainstream" doesn't mean I'll stop listening to them, because their music hasn't changed. And the more people that listen to them, the better.

Edited by cloudpost, 11 March 2008 - 01:42 AM.

#12 shakedown

shakedown

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Bnet Name:Sonicwave
  • Bnet Realm:Northrend

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:48 AM

Mother's Milk anyone? FONKY

Edit: This was for the best albums ever thread. Oops.

Edited by shakedown, 11 March 2008 - 06:49 AM.

#13 hoon

hoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1200 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:17 PM

[genre] topic reposts
http://forums.dota-allstars.com/index.php?...50596&st=20

QUOTE(cloudpost @ Mar 11 2008, 03:41 AM) View Post

My view on how to define indie is this: It's more of an attitude than an actual genre. An attitude that focuses more on making great music than on making money, but if success comes, it's because of musical brilliance (Arcade Fire for one.) So it's not about what label a band is on, it's more of an attitude, a movement if you will.

Certainly it's a movement, complete with art, movies, and all of the hipster dufuses thinking they're counter-culture that one could imagine, but you have to admit that it's gained a sound of its own.  Initially it was primarily the independent mentality that drove the genre, and though that focus is still present, I think the "genre" as a whole has certainly evolved into it's own musical entity, if you will.

I'm not going to pretend to be all that knowledgeable on the matter, but that much at least has been pretty apparent to me.

QUOTE(cloudpost @ Mar 11 2008, 03:41 AM) View Post

Besides, who really cares about pigeon hole-ing bands into genres. I won't only listen to "indie" bands just because that's what is cool. Just because Bloc Party are now "mainstream" doesn't mean I'll stop listening to them, because their music hasn't changed. And the more people that listen to them, the better.

Genrefication is an incredibly useful too, and just dismissing it would be absolutely lousy, but of course listening to something or the simple sake of  it being called "indie" is ridiculous.
That's what you were getting at there anyways wasn't it?  wink.gif

Also, respond to my feelings on Bloc Party please? I really would like to be convinced otherwise, or at the very least hear what you have to say.

QUOTE(joymonger @ Mar 10 2008, 10:39 PM) View Post

hoon:  i'm sure you've heard the guy from brand new cover 'oh comely.'  but if not, do so immediately.  it's pretty amazing.  not a brand new fan, but that cover does the original justice.

It's delightful  smile.gif

#14 -The-Observer-

-The-Observer-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2140 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:03 PM

Just because bloc party isn't indie - doesn't mean i don't like them..

radiohead was indie, but they are kinda mainstream, however they are amazing

also i will be downloading some indie music tonight thankz to joymonger

I can't wait!!!

lawl every one of my t-shirts are indie bands - so everyone is lost around me!

sry to hoon, but "in the aeroplane over sea" just didn't do it for me..

i really don't know why - i just didn't get that turned on by the music

Edited by -The-Observer-, 11 March 2008 - 03:07 PM.

#15 <3

<3

the universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1257 posts
  • Interests:Revenge.
  • Bnet Name:<3
  • Potential:G

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:27 PM

andrew bird
okkervil river
regina spektor
sufjan stevens
iron & wine
the decemberists

all you need to know

and a little deviation from the list:
midlake
the headstones
girl talk
the beatles

honestly, if you've never really listened to the beatles, get some and kick back for an hour.

#16 joymonger

joymonger

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE(-The-Observer- @ Mar 11 2008, 03:03 PM) View Post

Just because bloc party isn't indie - doesn't mean i don't like them..

radiohead was indie, but they are kinda mainstream, however they are amazing
also i will be downloading some indie music tonight thankz to joymonger

I can't wait!!!

lawl every one of my t-shirts are indie bands - so everyone is lost around me!

sry to hoon, but "in the aeroplane over sea" just didn't do it for me..

i really don't know why - i just didn't get that turned on by the music

np for the recommendations.

"in the aeroplane over the sea" is not an album that immediately presents itself as great.  i really regard the album as art, not only because of its depth, but its ability to open itself to you when you need it most.  instrumentally, it's not super complex, but it's orchestration and the tone it sets are amazing.  even the two instrumental tracks add something to the overall feel of the album and add texture to it.  lyrically, i have never been moved by any other album as much as it.  it speaks to two of the most innocent and childlike emotions we have - fear and wonder.  it's an album that you have to listen to all the way through, nonstop, by yourself.  you can't appreciate it having it on in the background while you play dota.  it might take the right time and the right place - i know i certainly couldn't have appreciated it when i was in high school because i didn't have the patience for albums like this.  it is definitely a grower and will take multiple listens to get into.  it might not be for you, but the possibility that you might get past the guy's voice and the strange qualities of it is worth a try.  

sorry for the wall of text.  i'm pretty much in love with the album.

#17 -The-Observer-

-The-Observer-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2140 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE(<3 @ Mar 11 2008, 07:27 PM) View Post

andrew bird
okkervil river
regina spektor
sufjan stevens
iron & wine
the decemberists

all you need to know

and a little deviation from the list:
midlake
the headstones
girl talk
the beatles
honestly, if you've never really listened to the beatles, get some and kick back for an hour.

from your original list - added from the bands joymonger recommended - i heard and love all those bands
and sorry for rickrolling you earlier  laugh.gif

QUOTE(joymonger @ Mar 11 2008, 09:01 PM) View Post

np for the recommendations.

"in the aeroplane over the sea" is not an album that immediately presents itself as great.  i really regard the album as art, not only because of its depth, but its ability to open itself to you when you need it most.  instrumentally, it's not super complex, but it's orchestration and the tone it sets are amazing.  even the two instrumental tracks add something to the overall feel of the album and add texture to it.  lyrically, i have never been moved by any other album as much as it.  it speaks to two of the most innocent and childlike emotions we have - fear and wonder.  it's an album that you have to listen to all the way through, nonstop, by yourself.  you can't appreciate it having it on in the background while you play dota.  it might take the right time and the right place - i know i certainly couldn't have appreciated it when i was in high school because i didn't have the patience for albums like this.  it is definitely a grower and will take multiple listens to get into.  it might not be for you, but the possibility that you might get past the guy's voice and the strange qualities of it is worth a try.  

sorry for the wall of text.  i'm pretty much in love with the album.

it's not weirder than clap your hands or of montreal - i don't know

maybe i just have to listen to the album again..

there have been a couple bands that took me a while to get used to

i never meant the album sucked, i just wasn't as wowed like some people were

also thnx for the recommendations joymonger - i downloaded and love them

#18 joymonger

joymonger

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:39 PM

no problem.  which ones are you currently listening to?

#19 cloudpost

cloudpost

I'm a French Duke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:31 AM

QUOTE(hoon @ Mar 11 2008, 05:17 PM) View Post

Genrefication is an incredibly useful too, and just dismissing it would be absolutely lousy, but of course listening to something or the simple sake of  it being called "indie" is ridiculous.
That's what you were getting at there anyways wasn't it?  wink.gif

Yeah, spot on.

Also, respond to my feelings on Bloc Party please? I really would like to be convinced otherwise, or at the very least hear what you have to say.

Silent Alarm is one of my favourite albums mainly because it's an album from my time, one that somehow i feel connected to. The edgy, urgent tracks are as catchy as anything (Like Eating Glass, Helicopter, Banquet, Luno), but the more emotional-based tracks are just as good (Blue Light, This Modern Love, So Here We Are). The album is also incredibly solid all the way down to the last track (with maybe the exception of Price Of Gas). The lyrics may seem pretty inconsequential at first, but upon further examination Kele's lyrics are pretty exceptional for a debut album (take a look at Pioneers especially.)

A Weekend in the City was slightly disappointing, as they seem to lose their edgyness, as well as some lyrical subtlety. I still find myself listening to that album a lot though, as despite the obviousness of those lyrics, they contain some really great stories/messages that i can connect to. For example, the post 9-11 media based paranoia in Hunting for Witches and the critique on modern youth culture in Uniform. Kele struggle with his own sexuality in Kreuzberg and I Still Remember is both brave and touching.

I'm not sure what the problem you have with Kele's voice is, but i find it's perfectly fine. I mean it's not a great voice by any means, but it's not exactly a focus of their music most of the time.

In the music blog scene, they'd be one of the most remixed artist (probably just behind Justice), with a plethora of fantastic indie dance remixes.  Silent Alarm Remixed, rather than a mere cash in on the originals' success, is almost as good as their debut, with some of the tracks in fact strengthening already great tracks and making them totally dance-able.

Bloc Party are probably my most played artist because of the sheer broad appeal of their music. Look in one of my dance playlists, Bloc Party will be there (or at least a remix of them.) Rock? Helicopter and Banquet are staples in there too. Mellow emotional playlist? Bloc Party: check. All of these things make Bloc Party one of my favourite modern rock bands.

#20 -The-Observer-

-The-Observer-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2140 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:54 AM

^ yeah i noticed that bloc party has a wide array of fans

I listened to "illinoise" and "black sheep boy"

great albums - and i listened to aeroplane

i like it - just not my fav i guess.. it's hard to relate to