• 5746 posts
  • Bnet Name:Onln
  • Bnet Realm:Northrend
  • Potential:R

Posted 10 April 2010 - 01:44 AM

For all the preview posts, see www.mmo-champion.com

What concerns me most are the following abilities:

Mages:
Wall of Fog (level 85): Creates a line of frost in front of the mage, 30 yards from end to end. Enemies who cross the line are snared and take damage. The mana cost will be designed to make Wall of Fog efficient against groups, not individuals. This spell is intended to give mages a way to help control the battlefield, whether the mage is damaging incoming enemies (Blizzard can be channeled on top of Wall of Fog) or protecting a flag in a Battleground. 10-second duration. 30-second cooldown.

Rogues:
Smoke Bomb (level 85): The rogue drops a Smoke Bomb, creating a cloud that interferes with enemy targeting. Enemies who are outside the cloud will find themselves unable to target units inside the cloud with single-target abilities. Enemies can move inside the cloud to attack, or they can use area-of-effect (AoE) abilities at any time to attack opponents in a cloud. In PvP, this will open up new dimensions of tactical positional gameplay, as the ability offers a variety of offensive and defensive uses. In PvE, Smoke Cloud can serve to shield your group from hostile ranged attacks, while also drawing enemies closer without the need to rely on conventional line-of-sight obstructions. Smoke Cloud lasts 10 seconds and has a 3-minute cooldown.

Warriors:
Gushing Wound (Level 83): This ability will apply a bleed effect to the target. If the target moves, the bleed gains an extra stack and refreshes its duration, up to a maximum of three stacks. The ability is currently planned to have no cooldown, cost 10 Rage, and have a 9-second duration. Gushing Wound is designed to be weaker than Rend with one stack, but better with three stacks, which will be reached when fighting a moving target.

Ring a bell?

I'm all for adapting a good mechanic. But I'm very much against blatantly copying DotA abilities into WoW. Seriously, Blizzard, get some fucking originality.

#2 Valorian

Valorian

Forumin' Inspector

• Forum Leaders
  • 9718 posts
  • Bnet Name:Valorian
  • Bnet Realm:Lordaeron

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:45 AM

not this shit again.

i doubt anyone really cares if WoW copies DotA or the reverse happens.

so the developers needed some new skills to spice up PvP play. are you sure you're not just seeing what you want to see, or are you so certain dota is 100% original.

#3 Twilight Archon

Twilight Archon

Uhm. Something?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4139 posts
  • Interests:Who gives?
  • Bnet Name:(I don't play wc3 anymoar :P)
  • Bnet Realm:none

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:26 AM

How's any of this from DotA

:|

Jus' saying, it's all vague and obscure and overused. :S Especially smoke bawmb.

I just had smoke bombs in AC2, bet it copied dota. tongue.gif

#4 Valorian

Valorian

Forumin' Inspector

• Forum Leaders
  • 9718 posts
  • Bnet Name:Valorian

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:08 AM

Ah, but did your smoke bomb slow your target, and make him miss attacks and prevent him from using abilities whilst caught within?????

#5 Twilight Archon

Twilight Archon

Uhm. Something?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4139 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:28 PM

Actually.

Actually yes it did!

Although it's more of a "prevent things from doing anything to you while caught in smoek bawmb"

#6 Dark Rogue

Dark Rogue

Teardrop in the fire

• Moderators
  • 3069 posts
  • Bnet Name:omg I haz a Bnet name?!
  • Potential:Pwn

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:39 PM

Purely a coincidence, surely Blizzard would not copy skills from DotA (or vice versa). They just needed to make the game more interesting. But then again, there are Abominations in World of Warcraft that can hook you, so anything is possible (not joking about the last part) tongue.gif.

#7 Twilight Archon

Twilight Archon

Uhm. Something?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4139 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE(Dark Rogue @ Apr 10 2010, 03:39 PM) View Post

Purely a coincidence, surely Blizzard would not copy skills from DotA (or vice versa). They just needed to make the game more interesting. But then again, there are Abominations in World of Warcraft that can hook you, so anything is possible (not joking about the last part) tongue.gif.

Naturally their hooks have auto-aim though.

Or they're really pro.

#8 subse7enz

subse7enz

Pushin' it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1949 posts
  • Bnet Name:Pushin.Subseven

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:58 PM

Are there really any unique new skills nowadays? If so, it's definitely not much.

#9 Onin-

Onin-

Rawr.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5746 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:52 AM

Some of the skills are unique, for instance Shamans are getting a skill that for a short while allows them to cast spells while moving. And the Smoke Bomb is at least in some way done differently, it's not just a simple silence. But the other two are such blatant ripoffs...

#10 Sandata

Sandata

People play The Cure songs better than The Cure

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4441 posts
  • Bnet Name:10k.Sandata

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE(Onin- @ Apr 15 2010, 07:52 PM) View Post

Some of the skills are unique, for instance Shamans are getting a skill that for a short while allows them to cast spells while moving. And the Smoke Bomb is at least in some way done differently, it's not just a simple silence. But the other two are such blatant ripoffs...

I would like to point out that the spirit walk skill for shaman is a copy of the ragnarok skill freecast for professors. Freecast allows professors to cast while moving. The only change is that spirit walk is on a 15 sec duration 2min cd.

On paper it looks good for shaman, but in actuality I doubt it's going to change much. Unless you're packing haste, lava bursts and heals will still be interrupted. Might be fun for LoS'ing and kiting heals though

#11 Onin-

Onin-

Rawr.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5746 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:39 PM

It adds to the mobility that they really lack.

#12 Momoku

Momoku

Nyanderful

• Forum Leaders
  • 8561 posts
  • Bnet Name:Mezame
  • Bnet Realm:Azeroth

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:16 PM

which is why profs are superior to hws. cast mobility in their case is a passive skill. throw in two imp/siroma cards and you dish out insane single target pain

#13 Synegh

Synegh

Music Discussion > Random Chat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3032 posts
  • Interests:Music.
  • Bnet Name:Synegh

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE(Sandata @ Apr 15 2010, 11:21 AM) View Post
= Unless you're packing haste, lava bursts and heals will still be interrupted. Might be fun for LoS'ing and kiting heals though

obviously you don't play shaman heals, haste is the #1 stat for a loooooooong time for shaman healers, especially in pvp. this spirit walk ability is probably the best thing blizzard could've done to start to make shaman more viable in pvp, but what they really need is a restoration tree ability 5-sec CC resist imoooooo

edit: haven't played in a few patches tho so i may be wrong loooooooool

used to be pretty high in arena on my sham though. polymorph -> rogue stun combo was really my biggest problem. standing still too long usually meant the death of me, even after the stam buff because the class is just so thin and hex is a pretty meh spell.

Edited by Synegh, 15 April 2010 - 11:31 PM.

#14 Sandata

Sandata

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4441 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:18 AM

QUOTE(Synegh @ Apr 16 2010, 03:29 PM) View Post

obviously you don't play shaman heals, haste is the #1 stat for a loooooooong time for shaman healers, especially in pvp. this spirit walk ability is probably the best thing blizzard could've done to start to make shaman more viable in pvp, but what they really need is a restoration tree ability 5-sec CC resist imoooooo

edit: haven't played in a few patches tho so i may be wrong loooooooool

used to be pretty high in arena on my sham though. polymorph -> rogue stun combo was really my biggest problem. standing still too long usually meant the death of me, even after the stam buff because the class is just so thin and hex is a pretty meh spell.

I do play sham. Quite exclusively actually. I use a resto sham 2 v 2, a 3v3 beastcleave enh and ele for 5v5 (still offpieced with resto gear but w/e). yes, haste still is the best stat for sham, but they don't build it nowhere near as high as mages (mages use a 1k haste build, shamans only use 600-700). That means unless shams also go for a 1k haste build (and gimp their hps/dps) we're still going to eat .6 sec poly's, especially against 4pc wrathful mages.

But yeah, it's still a proposed change. who knows? could be imba, could be not. it's just that for now though, it just lets you cast while moving, and that's just one to two spells  gcd. you could still eat anything and it'll waste this ability because of the 2 min cd. tbh, I could go for something that'll address the hp pool, or at least a CC that doesn't suck.

#15 Onin-

Onin-

Rawr.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5746 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:41 AM

Oh btw
gCjuFpQ3EeA

Edited by Onin-, 16 April 2010 - 06:41 AM.

#16 Synegh

Synegh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3032 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:45 AM

i thought haste started becoming meh at 1200 rating? i might be wrong though, it's been a long while. i stacked haste pretty high as a raiding resto shaman and carried that into pvp based on my personal play style. /shrug

#17 Sandata

Sandata

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4441 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE(Synegh @ Apr 17 2010, 02:45 AM) View Post

i thought haste started becoming meh at 1200 rating? i might be wrong though, it's been a long while. i stacked haste pretty high as a raiding resto shaman and carried that into pvp based on my personal play style. /shrug

haste caps off at 1300. my raid haste goes to about 800ish unbuffed since I'm main healer + troll racial/bloodlust and trinket so when it counts i hit the cap thereabouts. Anything above 1.3k messes gcd it becomes a loss.

For pvp it's a different story. I go with 700 haste thereabouts because I run 1.1k in resilience and about 3.3k SP unbuffed. Really need those resi and sp since stacking stam is basically worthless. We're still going to drop pretty fast no matter how much stam we stack.

Spiritwalker's grace might just be what we need. It's a step in the right direction, but the numbers really do make it underwhelming. At most we'll get a heal off of it so that's what, a spell that gives us around 6-8k effective HP? Rather have a CC over that, considering what all the other classes are getting :| Warriors get a rupture man! A rupture!

#18 Twilight Archon

Twilight Archon

Uhm. Something?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4139 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:51 PM

Paladun preview today. I wanna see how I'll faceroll shamans in cata in pvp.

Retribution biggrin.png

Onin-

Lol

Two of my friends have it

It's kinda

yeah. tongue.gif

Edited by Twilight Archon, 16 April 2010 - 12:51 PM.

#19 Synegh

Synegh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3032 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE(Sandata @ Apr 16 2010, 11:06 AM) View Post

haste caps off at 1300. my raid haste goes to about 800ish unbuffed since I'm main healer + troll racial/bloodlust and trinket so when it counts i hit the cap thereabouts. Anything above 1.3k messes gcd it becomes a loss.

For pvp it's a different story. I go with 700 haste thereabouts because I run 1.1k in resilience and about 3.3k SP unbuffed. Really need those resi and sp since stacking stam is basically worthless. We're still going to drop pretty fast no matter how much stam we stack.

Spiritwalker's grace might just be what we need. It's a step in the right direction, but the numbers really do make it underwhelming. At most we'll get a heal off of it so that's what, a spell that gives us around 6-8k effective HP? Rather have a CC over that, considering what all the other classes are getting :| Warriors get a rupture man! A rupture!

fuck wow anyways lol, was fun back in 04 but meh.

#20 Onin-

Onin-

Rawr.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5746 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE(Twilight Archon @ Apr 16 2010, 10:51 PM) View Post
Onin-

Lol

Two of my friends have it

It's kinda

yeah. tongue.gif

Whether you want to spend 25 euros on an imaginary mount is honestly your choice. But there are many problems with it:

1. It's ugly as fuck.
2. It's a reskin of the most rare mount in the game, thereby making that mount less valuable.
3. It's a reskin that looks like Algalon, as mentioned in the vid.
4. People want this mount to differentiate from people that don't have one. That's the reason anyone gets any mount that's more or less hard to obtain. But it's a completely flawed concept with this mount as everyone and his mom can buy one.
5. This reskin took considerable design time. Ghostcrawler recently mentioned that "if we are to implement a female Metamorphosis model, we'd have to implement one less boss model" due to development time. Thanks for the Retarded Horse and one less cool boss, then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users