Heroes of Newerth or League of Legends? Discuss.

• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

Poll: Heroes of Newerth or League of Legends?

Which game are you leaning towards to?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Atchucan

Atchucan

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Bnet Name:Atchucan
  • Bnet Realm:none

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:24 PM

Which game are you leaning towards to?

League of Legends
Developer: Riot Games
Gaming Platform: Windows
Genre: Multiplayer Online Battle Arena
Release date: Late 2009
Pricing model: Free to play
Beta Key Availability: Rare
IPB Image

Heroes of Newerth
Developer: S2 Games
Gaming Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac
Genre: Multiplayer Online Battle Arena
Release date: TBA
Pricing model: TBA
Beta Key Availability: Uncommon (I have spare HON beta keys)

IPB Image

Defend your answer without flaming.
You can post screenshots/links to prove your point.
Discuss.

#2 Archbound

Archbound

Caution Zombies Ahead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1034 posts
  • Bnet Name:Archbound
  • Bnet Realm:Azeroth

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:36 PM

Heroes of Newerth, Its Big Boy Dota, LoL looks like its made for infants. It might be Ground Breaking, But it LOOKS retarded.

I Like Dota, I want Dota, and HoN delivers it Only Prettied up.

#3 Jimtowel

Jimtowel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Bnet Name:Shoeface

Posted 14 July 2009 - 06:41 PM

League of Legends hands down.  I've played both and the gameplay of LoL is better than Dota and WAY better than HoN.

As a correction to your original post, LOL will be available on Mac.

#4 Lickalich

Lickalich

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Bnet Name:lickalich

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:02 PM

They are both cool games.  I think HoN has like 20k beta invites out vs LoL at probably less than 1000, I think this poll is sortof silly ;p

I think LoL probably will do better eventually though because it has a lot more new stuff, while HON is basically a polished version of DOTA with the DOTA heroes.  One of my friends is on the beta, nad told me about a hero called Ice Phoenix in LOL.  He has some really gnarly skills that are totally different from anything in DOTA or HON and which he said are really fun and skill based.

Edited by Lickalich, 14 July 2009 - 07:09 PM.

#5 DR3N

DR3N

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Bnet Name:DR3N
  • Bnet Realm:Lordaeron

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:07 PM

LoL blows HoN out of the water. smile.gif

#6 wowdarklord

wowdarklord

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Bnet Name:darklord-tribes

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:09 PM

Having played both, LoL is a lot more fun.

Ive heard some people worrying about the fact that LoL will be free, thinking that it isn't a full game or isnt good enough to charge, etc. That is not the case at all -- every tester I have talked to would drop 50$ for the game; the devs just want to do the micro transactions business model that is popular more in the Asian markets because it will let them continue developing content for the game after it comes out.

That said, HoN is going to 'win' this poll since everyone and their mother has a HoN beta key and the LoL beta is still quite small.

#7 Achas

Achas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Bnet Name:Stabbity

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:10 PM

Having played both, definitely LoL.  HoN was extremely underwhelming.

#8 MrFroho

MrFroho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Bnet Name:MrFroho

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:16 PM

Having played both, HoN is just another DotA. LoL is totally new with plenty of awesome new ideas that takes MOBA to the next level.

Also LoL is completely free, win win.

#9 Shon

Shon

^The League is Coming^

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1212 posts
  • Interests:WTF do u think it is?........Dota, DUH!!!!
  • Bnet Name:Sayan
  • Potential:G

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:48 PM

I will play both though I prefer LOL due to the summoner system and the heavy influence it has with RPG style gaming however I am very skeptical about the micro transaction system of payment they have planned, I hope to god it doesn't come with a catch 22, though they say it is only for extra skins and non gameplay involved costumisations, I just hope to god it is the truth and nothing but the truth.

#10 Atchucan

Atchucan

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Bnet Name:Atchucan

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE(Jimtowel @ Jul 15 2009, 10:41 AM) View Post

As a correction to your original post, LOL will be available on Mac.

Until LOL game devs officially announce that Mac support will be available, post remains unchanged.

Don't worry I'll update the thread whenever there are changes.

#11 Dreadnought[dA]

Dreadnought[dA]

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1355 posts
  • Bnet Name:Dreadnought[dA]

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:34 PM

LoL looks far superior and I haven't even tried out the HoN beta. Maybe the graphical direction isn't the best choice but from what I can see, LoL has truly fantastic design and is just plain hands down better mechanically. It solves the problems of DotA rather than reintroducing them. HoN seems to essentially copy DotA and try to make a better version. Unless it's 321.5% free it will die to LoL easy.

#12 dels2007

dels2007

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Bnet Name:dels

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:16 AM

I never try both, but will LOL and HON support offline/single player with AI (Bots)?

And how about LAN only game? are they support it? since Starcraft 2 will likely not (not relevant though, but some consideration)

#13 eXes-europe

eXes-europe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Bnet Name:eXes
  • Bnet Realm:Northrend

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:44 AM

LoL will have a tutorial and Bots.

#14 Agroff

Agroff

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Bnet Name:hatmaster

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:13 AM

QUOTE(MrFroho @ Jul 14 2009, 08:16 PM) View Post

Having played both, HoN is just another DotA. LoL is totally new with plenty of awesome new ideas that takes MOBA to the next level.

Also LoL is completely free, win win.

Don't you have to buy the CDs?
EDIT: Nvm, they just announced today LoL will be free. Screw DotA, I'm going LoL tongue.gif
My choice: LoL by far ... it tries to improve the MOBA genre instead of creating "yet another DotA" which I feel HoN is.

Edited by Agroff, 15 July 2009 - 05:23 AM.

#15 yorro

yorro

No Longer Plays Dota

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3140 posts
  • Interests:DotA, Basketball, Musics.
  • Bnet Name:Yorro

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:35 AM

Since when did you realize that HoN will stick to being a clone DotA? These are just the first wave of contents, and unlike DotA, groups of people will be updating it on a daily basis. And yes they listen to people too.

HoN has just arrived and yet you say that they don't want to innovate?. FYI LoL has been in the scene for months now.

HoN at birth can go toe to toe with LoL and DotA at the same time, when did LoL had this much hype?. We haven't even seen the full power of HoN and yet you compare the two games?.

The only reason LoL is good is because they had a long head start and some ideas that the LoL team have seem pretty intriguing.

#16 Lickalich

Lickalich

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Bnet Name:lickalich

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:12 AM

QUOTE(yorro @ Jul 15 2009, 06:35 AM) View Post

Since when did you realize that HoN will stick to being a clone DotA? These are just the first wave of contents, and unlike DotA, groups of people will be updating it on a daily basis. And yes they listen to people too.

HoN has just arrived and yet you say that they don't want to innovate?. FYI LoL has been in the scene for months now.

HoN at birth can go toe to toe with LoL and DotA at the same time, when did LoL had this much hype?. We haven't even seen the full power of HoN and yet you compare the two games?.

The only reason LoL is good is because they had a long head start and some ideas that the LoL team have seem pretty intriguing.

Well, considering that S2 games is in a huge beta and LOL betas are really scarce, I would say that S2 games is probably "farther along" but that Riot announced earlier.  They also are using a lot of savage 2 lobby stuff, so that's like 3 or 4 years of development, and in that time, you see not too much new stuff, just lots of polish on DOTA.  That's a LONG time to not be doing new stuff.

I am not super optimistic about HON's ability to innovate long term.  LOL has several really cool heroes already, while the new HON heroes that aren't DOTA copies are pretty mediocre and have some really painful abilities that just are not fun to play around.  It's a lot harder to do new stuff than to copy, and I won't believe that s2 can innovate cool new stuff until they show me a few heroes that really push things forward.

Edited by Lickalich, 15 July 2009 - 08:13 AM.

#17 fevgatos

fevgatos

My brain is currently away , please leave a message

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1481 posts
  • Interests:Football Manager....
  • Bnet Name:sHaRkY
  • Bnet Realm:Northrend

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:55 PM

Guys there is already a dota like game , its called savage : heroes of newerth and Savage 2 , its sequel . The differences are that it is based on the future , or so i seen so far , and you can take the role of heroes(like currently DotA) or a builder which produces building / units and commands them . Much like if u played the Sentinel / Scourge instead of the AI . Im downloading it right now , the Savage 2 ofcourse altough from the screenshots i watched savage 1 has better graphics !!

#18 knowitall

knowitall

let her see that fancy footwork

• Moderators
  • 2323 posts
  • Bnet Name:anticlimatic

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:58 PM

I think I'm going to go with HoN. I haven't played LoL yet so I might be biased, but I'm liking the way HoN sticks to the DotA gameplay without being stuck on the WC3 engine. I'm not looking for a new game; I'm looking for DotA without limitations, and that's what HoN is offering.

#19 Nox-

Nox-

Equal chances are not enough.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3706 posts
  • Bnet Name:Who knows?
  • Potential:GR

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE(knowitall @ Jul 16 2009, 01:58 AM) View Post

I think I'm going to go with HoN. I haven't played LoL yet so I might be biased, but I'm liking the way HoN sticks to the DotA gameplay without being stuck on the WC3 engine. I'm not looking for a new game; I'm looking for DotA without limitations, and that's what HoN is offering.

Exactly.

#20 Shon

Shon

^The League is Coming^

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1212 posts
  • Interests:WTF do u think it is?........Dota, DUH!!!!
  • Bnet Name:Sayan
  • Potential:G

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:11 PM

Having beta tested both games I can farely give an unbiased opinion on both games.

I like both games and will probably support both games even though most of us already know that LOL is free.

Both games have features that Dota doesn't have such as Match making, well actually HON still hasn't introduced their match making yet so I can't really give details on it yet.

Both games have features for reconnecting back into a game you got disconnected out of.

LOL I have to say is very innovative in everything they have set out to do though something HON isn't doing, they are set on a mould of mechanics behind Dota and are not doing anything new, even some of their heroes are conceptually bland and boring.

LOL has defininitely pushed the envelope on amny new things such as your cursor control and innovative new ways you can click and spam for skills such as the all new cone cursor based skils and the hold cursor for easier juking and hold cursor for spamming certain skills.

LOL also has an amasing Summoner System, I've said this before and I will say it again, I'm in love with the summoner system.

HON even though is jumping the barrier from the limited WC3 engine has failed to achieve the potential it can, I mean seriously most not all their heroes are rehashed hybrids. Also since they replicated the Dota game mechanics number for number and script for script, HON has all the problems Dota has including the fact their are no turorials and help for newer players. the high learning curve and the barrier for entry to newbs still persist and the S2 developers are stuck in limbo about it and I've already posted a thread in the HON beta forums about it and S2 Maliken one of their developers pretty much said that HON is targetting the dota demographic and S2 developers will be very happy if they get 25% of the population dota has since dota has a large multi million player base.

HON is good but needs to grow out of its traditional Dota mould, LOL is better because it has already grown out of that mould: smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users