Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Interests:thanks for reading my profile
  • Bnet Name:(cro)belus
  • Bnet Realm:none

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:05 PM

I know that there are a lot of the old Zelda threads(and Zelda fans aswell) on this forum but I don't want to bump them and since I have to post some things that haven't been posted in them.

I have passed LTTP, OoT(most people say that it is the best game ever, it is really amazing, but I think that LTTP owns it easily), MM and MC. I find Minish Cap to be lacking, the idea about making yourself big/small is plain stupid, Kinstones/Mysterious Shells "mini games" become very repetitive easily and most of the cool items like Hookshot are removed in favor of stupid things like Cane of Pacci or Gust Jar. And that dugeons in the top east-north is extremely boring . However I think that the other 3 games are all excellent and amazing, I dislike that 24 masks in MM because most of them are just one-time use and the tasks for them are repetitive.

1. A Link to the Past

This game has been released in 1991(or 1992, dunno) for SNES, and it is IMO the best Zelda BY FAR(from those which I have played. It is true that some things sucked(some useless items - Magic Cape, hard to avoid hits even if you are skilled("weak battling system"), 3 heart challenge not possible), but it was 1991, the things like the dungeons' complexity show that Nintendo put a lot of effort in those games. In this game there are really some cool items(Cane of Byrna, Hookshot(DotA fans, don't forget that Pudge's Meat Hook and this new hero(don't know his name)'s ultimate are completely based on that item), upgraded Boomerang, Fire/Ice orb...), dungeons are really very complex(the thing I HIGHLY appreciate, because of the complex dungeons(Misery Mire, Dark Palace etc) I started to like Zelda games(although dislike the fact that after finding the Big Key/treasure they become very onedimensional(however, that was good for Agahnim's dungeons, they are towers after all and not normal dungeons so it is normal for them to be different)). So the game is just amazing but here is something different:

Parallel Worlds(or Parallel Towers, I really don't know, it is good however that the name is the thing that matters the least)

This is the hacked ROM, but the hack is really great, mainly because the creator made the game MUCH harder(in the first dungeon(where you save Zelda) you have to pass half of the dungeon without sword and shield; you don't have the possibility of getting either Map or Compass in the dungeons...). Here is a part of the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMAV7KjwCKo, you can find the whole game passed on youtube(I guess so because I didn't want to check the whole game before playing)
Finding this hack can be pain for someone who doesn't know how so you can PM me I will give you all the links you need (since some of them are illegal I won't post them here)
Just to add, the storyline is very similar(you go save Zelda, then you find Sahasrahla, then you go to 3 dungeons(I am currently in the first one(in the part you can see in the video I posted above)))

2.Ocarina of Time

This is the first Zelda released for N64, in opinion of many people the best game of all time. The storyline is similar to LTTP's although the changing between the light and the dark world has been changed in favor of completely retarded going in the past and the future(that is stupid because you can make Link 7 years younger, that is so illogical)), the Ether/Bombos/Quake were replaced with 3 spells(this is a good thing, because the spells do completely different things). I dislike that they have removed Fire and Ice Rod for Arrows, Rods are much cooler IMO. Anyway the dungeons are interesting as well and pretty complex(yes, they can't match LTTP dungeons), Water Temple is a pure example what any Zelda dungeon should look like(and has the great boss which requires the concetration over all).

Uber Challenge
This challenge is pretty hard but I recommend it to you, here are some tricks that you have to do if you play the challenge:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_CC95dOV1A...feature=related (well this is the hardest one, I don't know how I managed to do that)
I have passed everything till Forest Temple(notice in the challenge that you have to pass Shadow and Fire temple before Forest(I don't know how I managed to defeat Bongo Bongo without arrows, he is the hardest boss in any Zelda I played), when I get some time I will pass it aswell(damn Stalfos are hard)
Here is an alternative if that challenge is too hard for you: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/n64/file/197771/30376

3.Majora's Mask

This is another highly recommended Zelda game, really great thing, Deku/Goron/Zora masks are really really great new things, and some of the other masks are cool as well(and some tasks are great, like Kafei/Anju task). The dungeons are more complex than OoT's, and the story is better(for me).I am going to pass some challenge when I get some time(although Gyorg will be very hard with 3 hearts only)(or if someone has some good challenge post please.

#2 Volcove

Volcove

Reality is for those who lack imagination.

• Forum Leaders
  • 5191 posts
  • Interests:Uh... stuff.
  • Bnet Name:Volcove
  • Bnet Realm:Azeroth
  • Potential:CGR

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:35 PM

I've been a fan of the Legend of Zelda series ever since the LttP one, and I agree that Link to the Past is indeed the best of the series. However, this Parallel Worlds hack looks very intriguing as well; I seek to try it out when I can.

I think one rather tediuous challenge for MM would be to beat the entire game in 6 in-game days (including the first 3 where you cannot exit town; meaning you have to clear all 4 dungeons in only 3 in game days); I think there are some guides to show this is possible, but... timing would have to literally be perfect.

#3 omfgzila

omfgzila

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:53 PM

damn how could I forget about 3 days... so 3 days and 3 hearts will be good challenge. However I will have to pass it (in a normal way) once more since I forgot many things from it(haven't played it for a few years)

#4 gipp

gipp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Bnet Name:gipper
  • Bnet Realm:Azeroth

Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:47 AM

minish cap was ok, its worth to play it through once.

havent really played the n64 ones though.

the 2 gameboy color ones were pretty good too
the dungeon puzzles will have you looking for guidebooks at times.

i wanna try that parallel worlds though

#5 citronella

citronella

Enthusiast

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Bnet Name:Citronella

Posted 01 August 2008 - 02:05 PM

Twilight Princess was great, you should try that out.

#6 omfgzila

omfgzila

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 04:28 AM

Ok I am here again after two years :\

I found an excellent ROM hack for Link to the past: Shards of Might. It is old and it has some bugs but it is made by Seph, creator of overworlds and some other stuff in Parallel worlds. Just make sure that you don't move near dwarf(who gives you level 3 sword) and everything will be ok smile.gif. The hack is pretty short but very sweet smile.gif and it is way easier than Parallel Worlds. The link: http://acmlm.no-ip.org/board/thread.php?id=5311. Also make sure that you download the save file(somewhere in the thread, first page) because if you start a game from beginning there will be a bug, Zelda will not appear where she should be :\. Instead you will get the green jewel only ohmy.gif There are some other mini bugs smile.gif I am now in the fifth dungeon

http://www.questforcalatia.net/
I also can't wait for this. They have started working on that project in 2002. It is still not over :\. If you like the first Zelda you can check Outlands out, everybody says that it is great.

Edited by omfgzila, 11 April 2010 - 04:30 AM.

#7 subse7enz

subse7enz

Pushin' it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1949 posts
  • Bnet Name:Pushin.Subseven
  • Bnet Realm:Northrend

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:28 AM

LTTP is my favourite game ever.

Played parallel worlds but imo there is too much bugs in the game or ways that make the game weird like in the dark world I have no idea which dungeons I still have to visit or which I have to go to to get some items because you can do them in any order you want. I might try it again soon and just go for the right order. It's pretty good though, but that's mainly because I'm a huge fan of LttP, I think I've played through that game literally more than 20 times.

Minish cap was too easy / short imo.
Never got into Ocerina of Time or Majora's Mask but maybe that's because I've never taken the proper time to get into it. Last Zelda I played was for GC, suppose it was Twilight Princess, which I think sucked aswell. Too lineair and shallow.
LttP remains top Zelda game and top game ever for that matter.

Edited by subse7enz, 14 April 2010 - 06:30 AM.

#8 omfgzila

omfgzila

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:25 AM

In Dark World it is a must to complete Saria's dungeon before Ruto to get the Fire Rod needed to defeat that Ice Palace boss(who is the mini boss in Ruto). No order exists for other dungeons, and I think that it is a good thing. There are lots of stupid things in PW, I agree (three climbs in Parallel Tower or no Lost Woods combination anywhere?(right down right up down IIRC) sucks) but it is still goddamn good, maybe I say that because I love LTTP and thus I am biased a bit, I don't know. W/e, these two games are still my favorite games ever.

another thing I forgot to post: Seph(the "better half" of Parallel Worlds duo(who made overworld)) is making a new hack, Parallel Universe. It is going to be like a modern Zelda with all these cars, buildings( http://parallelsequel.wordpress.com/ ). I just hope that he won't give up. I have also heard of another hack which hasn't been made yet, Dark Prophecy and people seem to except a lot from it. It would be good to see at least one of these three hacks(PU, Q4Callatia, DP) released in next 3-4 years

Edited by omfgzila, 19 April 2010 - 10:27 AM.

#9 subse7enz

subse7enz

Pushin' it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1949 posts
  • Bnet Name:Pushin.Subseven
  • Bnet Realm:Northrend

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:31 AM

Well tbh I cba wiating for hacks to come out because most of them never get completed. This Shards of Might looked very promising but judging from his blog he doesn't really want to finish it either. It's a shame but thats what happens to 80% of all hacks. Same with some Chrono Trigger hack, which couldn't get completed cause of copyright shit by Enix IIRC. I suppose it's the reason Parallel World's is still the most popular Lttp hack although it's not as great as it seems imo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users